Penguin Filters?

DesoShade

I'm a noooooob
I was in the fish shop today and looking through some power filters and the only filter they stock, is emperer. Before I left the store, the shopkeeper specifically told me to stay away from Penguin filters, that they are no good. Any thoughts on a good filter? I'm looking at this one:
Power Filter: Bio System Power Filter & Surface Skimmer from Drs. Foster and Smith
for $29. model number 35. Looks like a good one but I don't have much experience with filters.

and there's this Penguin/Marineland
Aquarium Power Filters: Marineland Penguin BIO-Wheel Power Filters
for $24 Model number 200 (up to 50 gal) which I hear is a horrible filter. So if I do get this one, I'll get the higher 50 gallon filter.

I duno. Any thoughts?
I have a 30 gallon 36" tank. If I get the

He probably told you that because he doesnt carry them. The only difference in the Penguin and the Emperor is that the Emperor has a spray bar. I would personaly spend the othe $7 and get the 350 if I went with the penguin. As far as the other one goes, don't know. It will probably be fine because you basically want the power filter for circulation and to get oxygen in the water. Your main filteration is going to be in your live rock and sand bed.

The Penquine 350 and the emperor 400 both have the same flow rates and use the same filter pads.The only difference is that the emperor has the spray bar where the penguin dont.

Well that and the price.

Sorry I can't recommend either filters.I would get a decent protein skimmer instead.The skimmer,live rock and sand is all the filtration you will need.Add a couple powerheads(2 Maxi-jet 600 or 900)for flow and your set.If you still want the filter,then that would be fine but a skimmer is more important than those filters.

I agree with Freak. You are going to have to get a skimmer eventually if you start adding more fish and corals. Might as well bite the bullet and get a good one now.

hmm. skimmer eh? this filter here:

Power Filter: Bio System Power Filter & Surface Skimmer from Drs. Foster and Smith
is claiming to have a skimmer built on to it. any input on that?

I'll price a few skimmers online tho and see what I can come up with. Remember, I'm on a pretty tight budget here. And the live rocks and sand, seems expensive. might be awhile before I can get everything in this tank. If emperer and penquin are the same, I wonder why the shopkeeper was so hard on them. eh.

live rock. ooo. that stuff isn't cheap either. bout $100 for a ROCK. wowee. outta my range right now. I might have to settle for the filter for now. i can't afford a $100+ skimmer or LR at the moment. I just spent a hundred bucks on the tank. i still have to get the heater, too.

That link wasn't actually a protein skimmer.It was a filter that has a surface skimmer.It pulls water from the surface instead deep in the tank.

Once you get started it's lots of fun. Kind of expensive getting started though. Check the classified ads maybe you can find a good used skimmer.

Yeah it seems really fun. I have a small tropical tank and I love watching the fish swim around. i could watch them all day but it's so relaxing I fall asleep. I like fish. But it's like you said piggy, it's looking to be on the expensive side and I'm on a tight budget. I only make $7 an hour. blah.

I found a skimmer here that's only around $30 for up to a 70 gallon tank. mine is a 30 gal.
Visi-Jet Protein Skimmer
is this an ok skimmer? It's affordable for me. With a skimmer, stupid question here, does it plug in to the electric? Does it have to be run by some sort of an air pump or need any additional add-ons in order to work? Does it have filters that need changed? what about carbon?

Stay away from that one. I bought it for my sisters tank and it's a piece of junk. I sent it back. She ended up buying a new one.

Back