Pepermint shrimp ate my frogspawn!

Pwny

Reefing newb
lol i just got 2 new frogspawn frags last night a 1 head and a 2 head both purple tip as soon as i got done with the tank in realized a pepermint shrimp compleatly tore apart the 1 head one. there is no flesh left on it from what i can tell the outher one is fine tho they left it alone

Dang, that's messed up, sorry to hear that. Are you sure those are peppermint shrimp, and not their cousins, the camel shrimp. They look very much alike.

That's seems a bit strange the pep would attack the frogspawn like that. I've had peps in my tank since the start and they have never killed anything. Peps should look almost clear with red/light red lines and no hump on the back Camel are red with bright white lines and have a distinct hump on their back. They are not considered to be reef safe and are commonly sold as peps.

ya im sure there pepermint shrimp they have never tuched any of my outher corals and they left the frogspawn ive had for 4 months alone and the outher 2 head frogspawn i got last night, but i guess that pep shrimp felt the need to take out that 1 frogspawn i have noclue why maby it was stressed from move or somthing.

It could be that the one frogspawn got damaged during transport. Then the pep ate a damaged coral, doing what it does and scavange for food. Just an option. I know Ive had frogspawns, torches, and hammers get banged up pretty bad.

my light just came on i can see there is a little left but hardly anything ima leave it be and see if it comes back ive seen them come back from almost dead b4

That is pretty shyty. My peps dont do anything but sway back and forth with the current until i feed my tank. Then they go right back to their spots and sway with the current. =) PICs?

my old frogspawn
IMG_6052.jpg

my new 2 head frogspawn
IMG_6051.jpg

one of my 12 pepermint shrimp, not the best pic but only one out atm
IMG_6054.jpg

the frogspawn one of them ate
IMG_6053.jpg

you cant really see it but there is still a little bit of flesh left in it, one of the pep shrimp tore it apart

Back