Pepp shrimp disappeared?

AlwaysImproving

Reefing newb
I purchased one of these about 3-4 days ago and intially (first couple hours) I saw him cruising in the tank. After that I have never saw him once. Is it possible he climbed out of my tank as I have no lid on it either? I looked pretty good and still haven't saw it unless he buried himself in some kind of rock cave maybe?

Peppermints are highly reclusive and are known to be nocturnal. It is very possible that it did just take up a cave. Try looking at night if you have a lunar light.

+1 Phroger
Pepperments are for the most part nocturnal.Try using a small flashlight with either a red bulb or red lense.I'd about bet that you'll find him crawling around the rock.

They are elusive. I have a handful in my tank and I only see them about once a year or so. Granted, I have a big tank, but it's not like they hang out in the open.

Mine come out at night, though I have lost 2-3 because they jumped (or got swept over board). I have gone weeks without seeing them during the day. They don't even come out during feedings like the cleaners do.

got a question about cleaner shrimp. My LFS is selling skunk cleaner shrimp for like $20 or so. Is that a good price? I didnt want to buy it and get ripped off so i wanted to get advice. Also how many should i get? I was thinking maybe 1 or 2.

Wow....I didn't know peps were nocturnal and reclusive. You wouldn't think it to see mine (kids name him Mo, like in Wall-e). Mo must be a weird one, then. He is almost always out and about when the lights come on. He sometimes even swims up to the top during feeding time and snatches food directly from my feeding stick.

Wow....I didn't know peps were nocturnal and reclusive. You wouldn't think it to see mine (kids name him Mo, like in Wall-e). Mo must be a weird one, then. He is almost always out and about when the lights come on. He sometimes even swims up to the top during feeding time and snatches food directly from my feeding stick.

I guess all shrimp are different. They said that I would never see my fire shrimp and that they make horrible cleaners, but mine were riding my coral beauty around the tank just the other day. And you definitely can't miss them during feeding time.

As for the skunk cleaner, $20.00 is a good deal. My LFS keeps them and the fire shrimp at $30.00.

are skunk's a little more active or are they pretty shy too? I wanted a fire shrimp but i heard you almost NEVER see those once they are in the tank. I guess whats the most "outgoing" shrimp to get?

I've heard people say that about fire shrimp, but I see mine all the time. Mine's more outgoing than most of my fish, except the clown. He comes out any time I rearrange the coral, and always for feeding time, and also just to clean my hand when it's in the tank. I think the trick, though, is to have caves for them to go to when they feel threatened and for sleeping and such. They're naturally cave dwellers, so I think having that environment available makes them feel safe enough to be more outgoing. just my 2 cents.

Definitely agree with tanked. I have 2 fire shrimp and see them all the time. They actually seem more active with the lights on then at night. During feeding time, they go absolutely nuts skittering around the tank. I do have some larger caves and that seems to be their preference.

Back