Peppermint and cleaner

clancaster23

Reefing newb
I want to pick up some peppermint shrimp and put them in my 75. I have a cleaner shrimp in there now. Can I mix these two (I was thinking about 2 or 3 peppermints) without any problems?

the coral banded will more than likely kill the peppermints, and when they get big enough they will go after your small fish. They are very aggressive shrimp

Well I don't have any peppermints now. I was thinking instead of getting peppermints, I'd get a CB. I don't really have any small fish except for my blenny. I'd say the smallest fish I have aside from the blenny would be the tomato clowns and they are about 3 inches in length.

the coral banded will more than likely kill the peppermints, and when they get big enough they will go after your small fish. They are very aggressive shrimp

+1

I was glad to be able to snatch my Coral Banded one day and "turn him in". Mean b****rd. :mrgreen:

From what I have read, if you have a really big tank where a CB can choose a territory, they tend to be a bit more agreeable.

CMOS

My coral banded is well over 5 years old and has been very cool. I never seen him chase the blenny and royal grammas I had in the tank. I too was planning on adding some cleaner shrimp so if anyone has had them together let me know if it works. Maybe the large tank has been my luck like CMOS stated.

Well, apparently something was meaner than he was cause I can't find him anywhere in the tank. Pretty sure he is a goner. He was out a bit after I put him in and eventualyl went to hide behind a rock. I watched and he was there til I went to bed. Checked this morning and he is nowhere to be found. I looked through all the rock and found nothing so I'm not sure if I'm going to get another and see what happens or leave it at that and add that to a list of no-no's for this tank. If anything, I think it could have been my goby. Mean sob, he just looks mean. Killed the pistol shrimp I tried to give him too.

He's alive!! I don't know how he dodged me because when I looked fro him previously, I moved everything I could and didn't see him. I get home tonight and just happened to look in the tank. I see antennas and figure it's my cleaner in his usual spot but no, the cleaner is all the way on the other side of the tank (unusual). I get my little light to look in the tank and there he is upside down just chilling. Glad to see he didn't die!

c23,

Keep in mind that just before and during a molt the BCS will become AWOL.

AND - you may see what you think is a dead shrimp, when it's really a perfectly shaped molt skeleton. Fooled me many times. :D

CMOS

Ever since I found him, he has stayed pretty much in the same spot, upside down under a rock. Typical behavior for this shrimp or is he just still getting used to things?

Back