Peppermint reproduction?

wolfie357

Reefing newb
Ok I'm 99% sure one of my pepp shrimp is carrying a clutch of eggs. If so how likely is it that any of the young will survive? Not too many fish in the tank at the time, a pajama and a blue tail damsel. There is a coral banded shrimp and ten other pepp shrimp adults. I'm sure the damsel will pick off some of the young, but I don't know about the other critters. My snails reproduced with "great success" to the point of having to donate several to a buddy of mine.Thanks in advance as you guys always come threw with the most helpful info.

Carl in Orlando....62 degrees BRRR

Slim to none are their chances of survival. They're very hard to successfully get to reporduce in captavity. I've had peps that produce eggs about 2x per month. I've never seen a new shrimp yet and I doubt I ever will. Chalk it up as free coral and fish food.

This is what I kind of figured, please excuse my ignorance. Upon closer examination I now have three or four with eggs. I'm diggin the fact that my ecosystem is producing some more of its food. When my greenstar polyps spawned it was fun watching the fish dart around eating it. Every once in a while I see the damsel pick off a pod from a rock. The coral baded shrimp is excellent at rooting out bristles from the rock as well. I love this hobby!!

Back