Peppermint shrimp and hawkfish?

recliner

Reefing newb
I'm wanting to buy some peppermint shrimp (5-6) to kill off the aiptasia I can't reach to kill on my own. I've treated my entire tank twice now but those bastards just repopulate from the few I cant reach.
I have a falco hawkfish and am worried about the peppermint shrimp being an expensive meal. I have a blood red shrimp that's been fine for a couple months now, but it is about the same size as the hawk.
Will my hawkfish (Hank) eat/kill the peppermints?

The hawkfish are known for eating shrimp, but every fish is different. I had a falco hawkfish and just traded him because I wanted to get some shrimp as well. I didnt want to give him an expensive meal either. The peppermint shrimp are also hit or miss with eating aptasia from what I have read too. Decisions, decisions.... Either way, Good luck.

Maybe it'll come down to how big the shrimp are at the store. If they're near the size of my blood red shrimp I'll give them a go

Thats probably what I would do. Try to get the biggest ones they have and hope for the best. The size of your tank might give them a better chance too.

I think its more that the blood shrimp and cleaner shrimp have white antenna, which is what signals to fish that they are potential cleaners. I had the same issue in my tank. I had a Melanurus wrasse that was ruthlessly efficient at finding any peppermints I tried keeping in the tank, but it was totally fine with cleaners and blood shrimp

If you do still want to try the peppermints, I would put them in the tank after the lights have been out for awhile, and put them directly on the rocks

I went to the closest store and they only had really small peppermints so I passed. I'm going to a different store on Friday that sells 5 for $25. They get their shipments on friday morning and open to the public at 2pm. Hopefully they'll be some big ones for me to get if I'm the first one in.

My falco hawkfish ate the biggest pep I had. Boyfriend didnt believe me that they love shrimp, and put him in that tank. He was gone in about 30 seconds with the lights off.

lol.

I had some live for a while with my falco hawk, but not too long XP

They have a chance if they get up in the rocks in the dark.

Back