Peppermint shrimp and snails

recliner

Reefing newb
I'm selling my falco hawkfish Saturday which means I'll be able to add peppermint shrimp to my tank to combat my aiptasia. I've been doing some reading about them and it was mentioned that they can eat/kill snails if they get hungry.
Has anyone experienced this? How likely is it?
I was kind of counting on getting 5 of them to help save my tank from aiptasia.

Also I have a reef lobster and read on live aquaria that they may not get along.

I have never heard of Peppermint Shrimp killing snails. My Peppermint is awesome. He gets along great with my Cleaner Shrimp and all other tank mates. Which include about 8 snails, 6 hermits, and 3 fish. He is shy sometimes but if I bust out the food he is all of a sudden sociable haha. Plus their claws arent even big enough to really kill a snail. It would have to be a HUGE Peppermint and a tiny snail. When snails are threatened they close up the bottom with this hard plate thing. The lobsters on the other hand can be testy. Plus we had a lobster when I was a kid back in the early 90s. It would never come out and it was like what is the point of having one if you never see it.

Here's the only place I read about them killing snails
Peppermint Shrimp*
My lobster is visible at times every day and is very colorful. Just more variety, plus it helps eat any food that sinks to the bottom. The only aggressive thing I've seen from it in 4+ months is a couple weeks ago he pinched a leg on my serpent star that was going for the same piece of food.

Well my Peppermint's name is Tina and Tina leaves most everyone alone and is quite friendly when she isn't in her cave. Peppermints will even jump on your hand and start picking like Pacific Cleaners do if they are comfortable with you.

But make sure you get proven species of Peppermint that will eat Aptasia. I got Tina and then put a piece of Premium Live Rock in the tank that had a very small Aptasia on it. That was over 3 weeks ago and she hasn't even touched it. Maybe it is because I feed her too much and she does not want to deal with hunting an Anemone.

I've read some just don't go for it. That's why I was planning on getting 5 so hopefully at least 2-3 will have a taste for it

Back