peppermint shrimp death

runningrandy04

Reefing newb
Hey guys, so one of my peppermint shrimp died today and I don't know why? All my parameters are good. I came home with a small rock covered with mushrooms from the lfs. After putting it in the tank the 2 shrimp I have flocked to it and started cleaning it off. Woke up this morning and found one dead and the other one isn't eating. Only other thing I can think of is they have had yellow/green egg looking things under their tails. Figured they were just eggs but they have been there for months. Any ideas?

your sure it was a dead shrimp and it wasnt just molting? when they molt they molt thier entire exoskeleton and it looks a lot like a dead shrimp, just more clear. and the shrimp will hide out for a few days as the new exoskeleton hardens

I've had the shrimp for a while, and I'm pretty sure there isn't copper in the tank. He might have been molting but a crab was half way into his belly so he was definitely dead. Thanks for the help guys, but I don't think I'll figure this one out for a while. Just call it a freak thing for now.

It's hard to tell why our animals die sometimes... Especially if your water parameters have been stable/good. Sorry for your loss.

How long did you have the shrimp? Most only have a two year life span, mantis and pistols are closer to five years.

Back