peppermint shrimp for aiptasia

aftershock

Reefing newb
so i have a bit of a aiptasia problem which aiptasia x is workign on, but every time i look at the tank, i find more i missed. was thinking about adding a peppermint shrimp. i've heard they are hit-or-miss, plus some turn on your corals when they run out of food. also i want a blood red shrimp in the future and didnt want a shrimp battle. looking for some input. thanks.

Peppermint shrimp are reef safe, and usually the only corals they are risky around are colonial yellow polyps. Every thing else should be safe.

They are also fine with other shrimp.

+1 Biff

Most of the pep shrimps sold these days are the type that eat aiptasia so you got a good chance they'll help the problem. I catch mine munching on the rock that I think may have some late at night. I also have a skunk cleaner shrimp and a fire or blood shrimp with my pepp all in a 29 gallon and they get along fine. The only thing I feel I should warn you about is that they are very delicate to changes in water params. Especially temperature, they do not like warm water and I would strongly suggest keeping temps under 82.

Couldn't hurt. Lots of people use them to help control aiptasia. I don't think they harm anything else and are compatible with almost everything.

I spotted some aiptasia in my tank also so I picked up a couple of peppermints they hit the tank and the hawkfish answered the dinner bell the poor little things fought like hell but I could not get them out in time any other ideas? I don't pay $18.00 for a shrimp dinner at Red Lobster

lol @ the expensive shrimp dinner >.<! I'm sure your hawkfish loves you for it!

I don't think my flamehawk ever seen my peppermint, they hide really well, and only come out at night when the other fish are sleeping. Maybe they would have made it if they got past the initiation to the tank >.<

thanks for the responses you guys!!

toolman - you could thro the hawkfish in the fuge while the shrimp eat the aipasia, then when theyre done, take them out and give them to me. :mrgreen:

aipasia x has been workign really well for me, to let you know. so thats an option too

I had been using aptasia x for the longest while but after i moved my rock around i couldn't reach a lot of the aptasia (smart move eh?) so i bought a peppermint and so far so good =) he hasn't been in there too long though (3 days) so i'll keep you posted!

Back