Percula Clowns

SSalty

Team Liquid Force
Yesterday I got 2 young percula clowns and I officially nick named them "the crackheads":bouncycig They are constantly swimming like crazy around the tank. Is this normal for percula clowns? One other question, this morning I woke up to the two floating at the top of the tank. I freaked out and called the LFS, and they said this is how they sleep, I was like WTF.

Any insight is appreciated:^:

most likely they are just looking for a spot that they like in the tank. once they find it they will be there more often than not.

yes clowns are crackheads but youll get alot of enjoyment out of them, I keep clowns myself its actually my favorite breed of fish. I have to agree with andy for the first few days there kinda wierd after that youll see a big change in em.

Alright, back to the "crackheads". Like I said earlier about them floating to the top after the lights go out, what are your insights on this? Is this how they sleep? They are at the top right and they are swimming around (lights been off for 1 hour)

What are your perameters? Are they the only fish in there? What is your heat set at? How long has the tank been set up? DO you have good flow to airate the water? I have never hearrd of clowns doing that I have 2 and they have never done that to me.

bobby said:
What are your perameters? Are they the only fish in there? What is your heat set at? How long has the tank been set up? DO you have good flow to airate the water? I have never hearrd of clowns doing that I have 2 and they have never done that to me.

Ammonia 0, Nitrite .2, Nitrate 15. They are the only fish. Heat is set at 80. Tank has been set up 4 weeks. Heater is located in the right corner. I have 2 power heads. They only do this at night when the light is off. I don't know maybe the light generates more heat during the day and when the light is off it seems more cold to them, so they swim to the top.? Should I maybe turn the heat up a degree or two?

80 is fine if that is the temp at night to, you dont wnt big fluxuation in temp. I'm not sure to tall you the truth, but my guess would be either the co2 levels are going up when the lights are off and oxygen is going down, or there having a effect from the cycle there going thruogh. Are your power heads giving you a ripple on the water suface? Are you running any skimmers or filters? If you dont have alot of equipment moving and rippling the water you might not be getting enough oxygen.

Also I dont think they would got to the top for warmth I would think its colder near the top. If they were getting too cold I would think they would be near the heater. What kind of thermometer are you using? Are you sure its giving the right temp?

No the only reson mine done it was because mine was a hang on heater the heater was at the top. Is there some type of light source in that area?

bobby said:
80 is fine if that is the temp at night to, you dont wnt big fluxuation in temp. I'm not sure to tall you the truth, but my guess would be either the co2 levels are going up when the lights are off and oxygen is going down, or there having a effect from the cycle there going thruogh. Are your power heads giving you a ripple on the water suface? Are you running any skimmers or filters? If you dont have alot of equipment moving and rippling the water you might not be getting enough oxygen.

I have a Super Skimmer, a Penquin Dual Bio-Wheel 350 that causes lots of ripples and some tiny bubbles in the tank, I also I have to power heads, and two thermometers reading the same themp.

Thanks for your concern:sfish:

Last edited:
My first guess would be lack of oxygen too. Fish will swim up to the surface if there's not enough oxygen, but it sounds like you have a lot of water movement so that's not an obvious problem.

I dont know then. Temp is fine, and the tank has plenty of airation. I guess it might just be the tanks still cycling or its just must be quirk with the fish.

Based on the information given I would have to say the swimming up high is an indication of low oxygen levels. If i continues after the next 5 days. Watch the fish for anyother signs, rapid breathing, slime off on body. If the fish are not breathing rapidly then you are most likely ok. If they are provide an updated description of all the things you see that may not look right. good luck, hopefully its only an adjustment perior for the new addition.

Last edited:
Do you have a lid on your tank? If so, remove it. You want to increase the gas exchange at the water's surface. You can also move a powerhead up so that it creates movement at the surface of the water (air and water mixing). Other's will chime in here, I'm sure, because I don't know what else you could do...

Better water movement through out the system, and more aireation. temperature max. 80. The higher the temp the less oxygen the water can carry. hope something here helps. keep us posted on how you are doing.

They are doing much better, I did some adjusting to one of my powerhead so it breaks the top water on the right side of my tank. They are no longer floating at the top, last night they slept towards bottom.

Thanks for the advice.

Back