Periwinkle snails / Nassarius

dannyboy

PLUHH
Hi, on ebay I found someone selling Nassarius snails at a really cheap price and thought I'd give them a go, he is throwing in a few Periwinkles free, are these good for a reef tank? Any input is helpful, thanks.

Nassarius snails are one of the best additions to the reef. They hide under the sand bed and when the smell food, the sand will rumble to life and all the snails come to the top. It is an amazing show.

The perwinkles look like they are a cold water snail and will probably just boil to death in your tank. It also appears that they are omnivores and might eat some of your sessile invertebrates. I probably wouldnt put them in my tank because you dont know what they are going to eat for sure, but on the bright side, i guess they are very tasty. So you can eat them.

Update, yes, it was the 200 snails for 20 bucks, well, I did the 100 for 18 or somethin. Actually got about 150, and maybe 10 didn't make it/empty shells. Now, I bought several nassarius snails from liveaquaria.com and these are not the same. These snails were larger and in a brown shell. Very health lookin but... they are getting eaten like crazy, hermits, peppermint shrimp, and even my small cow fish, weird, my white nassarius are way smaller and get left alone. At this rate the 150 will be eaten in a few days. Good snack.

Good call, a few went into the sand, maybe 5-10 out of the 150. believe now they were cold water snails, guy on ebay said great for reet tank, well, they were great food, I sand bed is littered with there little shells. Assuming they are safe food source, I'd recomend these for a treat, they were pretty cheap. The perriwinkle snails went into the trigger/puffer tank also as food. I will try to get a pic tonight but search ebay(salt water snails) you'll see 'em.

yeah i found him on eBay a few weeks ago.seemed to good to be true.glad they enjoyed the treat hopefully they wont cause you any problems.and i hope you left him him the proper feedback .so people will know these are bogus
happy tanks to you

Back