Petco Sale

raylmaier

Saltwater Guy
I was in Petco yesterday and they told me that their Clown fish are going to 50% off Friday Sat and Sun. Just thought people would like to know.

Each Petco is different. I have now gotten 1 chromis, 2 clowns, a six line wrasse, a cleaner shrimp, and a peppermint shrimp from mine and all have been healthy and happy and the staff there is amazing.

Yes, each Petco is different. If your lucky to have a great knowledgable staff then your local Petco should turn out to be a great LFS. Many however are not kept in the greatest condition. Their system is also usually interconnected. If one fish has ich, you can probably bet the rest of the fish will be infected.

My local Petco is not too dependable. Some of the staff there are quiet knowledgable. Other employees, well, would sell you a tang and not even ask how big your tank is.

I think there was a thread on here where there was talk of people getting their local Petco to stop carrying saltwater fish? I'm not sure.

The thing I was saying or thinking was it's only $14.99 for a b&w clownfish where every1 else is running $24 and up. With the 50% off it would have saved me $35. The petco close by is pretty dependable but ppl should realize always get a second opinion from somewhere else.

Last edited:
i have a petco about 5 minutes away that is complete torture to their fish, buuuut i have one about 20 minutes away that is good if not not better than the LFS that i drive an hour to, it highly depends on the petco and their staff. i talked to the guy at the good petco and he said that they got/are getting new people and top managers for their aquatics because they are trying to clean their bad rep on fish and other stuff, he did say that if we as customers see something bad to call their main office and report that store. this guy carries corals that even my lfs store doesnt carry and in better shape nice and plump

so yes saying a petco is a no no really depends on each petco, just like your lfs

Yup. Every fish store is different. So, it's not fair to make a wide sweeping generalization and condemn the entire chain and say it's a "no go." I hate to hear this especially when the guys at mine are really honest and knowledgable and work hard to keep the tanks clean and the fish hapyy.

What i dislike about petco/petsmart are the wholesalers that they buy their fish from. The wholesaler buys fish that are often collect in inhumane ways that damage the reef, they over collect and collect from areas that are suppose to be off limits, and they dont take care of the fish that have, so the mortality is out of control at their facilities. But because they are often bought on black market prices and have little care at the holding facilities they can sell their livestock at the lowest price, which is why petco/petsmart buy from them.

check out this thread for more info about this:
https://www.livingreefs.com/aquariums-t36764.html

A good lfs will buy from a good wholesaler, who takes care of the livestock they have and will buy fish collected with humane methods legally, which will usually cost more because of the care they have invested in their fish. Live aquaria is a an example of a good wholesaler.

Not to argue with you Little Fish :).....But I feel as though this will help others.
You're saying that all Petcos buy from "bad" wholesalers (or wholesellers, not sure which is right there) so let's say I drive 45 minutes away to a different LFS, what am I supposed to ask them to determine that they are buying from "good" guys?

I just ask where they get their fish from, then go home and do some research on that company.

I cant find the thread/article that listed petco/petsmart main supplier, and but i looked up a the companies and was saddened by what i found.

Hmmm, ok, that sounds do-able. I certainly never even thought about it if I'm being honest. My whole thing was, are the fish looking happy, healthy, the staff knowledgeable, what do the tanks look like? I never really thought that each LFS was getting fish from completely different types of importers.
So, I guess I just hate to hear of Petcos generally bashed for in-store conditions or bad staff when they are all different, which was what kind of came up in this thread. But I see why you do not like the chain if that is true that they are all getting their stock from a less than reputable wholesaler. I'd have to read the article.
Thanks Little Fish.

The end result of the article was that Petco/petsmart as a general chain policy will buy from the lowest cost wholesaler, which in this business always mean a sketchy dealer, which is why i wont support them. What happens to them when the reach the store will depend on the employees.

Well, after calling my petco and doing some internet research I discovered the following;
Each Petco store, depending on its' location (regionally) and what the manager wants, orders from the same wholesalers as any LFS does including but not limited to: Quality marine, Sustainable Aquatics, Apet, A & M, ORA, and, on the east coast special orders often come from Segrest Farms.
Also, when ORA is "overstocked" they do a "push" and ship out large quantities to Petcos to clear out stock.

Back