petco

I think it depends on the individual store. Several of my fish are from Petco, and they've been with me for 5+ years. Some stores are better than others.

I agree with Biff. Some are much better than others. With that said, I exercise great caution with all LFS.

So Meatwad please do tell!

Last edited:
Mine are terrible(for fish).Whenever i go to get dog food,i take a look at the fish section and always leave shaking my head in disbelief.Thats why i love my little ol' LFS:D

I have had pretty bad luck with fish from my LFS. Of the fish currently in my tank, this is how their origins break down:

PETCO
- 2 pajama cardinals
- sixline wrasse
- coral beauty

LFS
- 2 clowns
- 2 chromis
- yellow tang
- yellow tail damsel

I've had all of these fish for 5+ years, and it's a pretty even split down the middle where I got them from. I don't usually buy fish from Petco (they usually have a poor selection), so I have lost more fish that I bought from my LFS than I have from Petco.

So many of the fish that I have bought at SWA have died... I think the only Petco fish I've bought that died was my kole tang -- and I had him for about 4 years before he died in a rock slide. I just don't have much luck at all with SWA's inverts or fish.

The fish in my Petco look fat, but have faded colors. I've never bought sw fish from them, but back in my fw days, I did have good luck with their fw stock.

Just curious what you guys consider an" LFS "...? For me its my very small family run fish only store(that is now only open 4 days a week for 8 hours:grumble:)

ive been in petco a few times when they were doing water changes on the saltwater tanks using tap water, i really couldnt believe my eyes. needless to say i didnt buy any fish from them. there cheap for a reason :\

I really think it depends on the petco ...the one I go to has two Guys that were hired for their saltwater knowledge and helped my solve tank issues that the owner of a local SW store could not.... the fish I bought there were and are still doing great

that said there is another petco close to me i would not buy crickets from because of how bad they are.....

so I really think it depends on the location

Elyria

I consider an LFS to be a non-big chain like Petco, and specialize more with fish (fw and sw). My favorite LFS has cut back another day out of their week (which is fine, since I only go on fridays or weekends anwyay). But I really hope they stay afloat though cuz I really like them. I have a good business relationship with them.

I define a LFS by particular stores that I go to and I know the guys name who gets my fish/coral out of the tank. I've found if you get to know the guys a little while you're in the store, they'll bend over backwards to help you, and you'll get better deals. I've got 3 different stores that I frequent, I've got "a guy" in each of those stores. If they're not working I don't buy.

I don't like stores that have anything but fish/corals....I don't want to see puppies, kittens, lizards, etc.

Back