PH and alkalinity ?

RIJohn

Reefing newb
So my tank has been up since March 3rd, I have noticed during my water tests day and night my PH stays at around 8.0 to 8.1. My alkalinty is at 200ppm. Is there anything I can do to bump up my PH a little.

I know their is PH buffer but that also effect alkalinity, what is the highest I can let my alkalinity go before it becomes a problem?

Thanks for the insight, more info you need dont know if it will help.

Salt Marime Salt Pro Reef
salinity 1.025
Am. 0
Nitr 0
Nitr 5ppm
phosphate .1ppm
calcium off the charts, 500+

If you need any other info let me know.

:Cheers:

It's not low. 8.0 to 8.4 is normal for day time readings. 7.8 to 8.2 is normal for night time readings. That pH isn't low enough to hurt anything, and if you try to fix it by adding chemicals, more likely and not you will make something else out of whack in the process!

LFS is in the business of selling suppliments and such. So the advice has to be taken with a grain of salt. Ive had an LFS say that in order to have an algae free tank you need to run a UV system. I asked if they ran it they said no. I asked how they dont have algae in their tanks. :mrgreen:

I prefer a slightly higher pH of around 8.4 - I feel that it helps avoid some nuisance algae. I use ReefBuffer to keep it there, and add it to my water change water.

Yeah, biff's right-- your pH is fine. In fact, if it's that stable with no dosing, I'd count your lucky stars if I were you. The important thing with alk and pH is that it's consistent-- no drastic swings.

LFS is in the business of selling suppliments and such. So the advice has to be taken with a grain of salt. Ive had an LFS say that in order to have an algae free tank you need to run a UV system. I asked if they ran it they said no. I asked how they dont have algae in their tanks. :mrgreen:

Yeah I have noticed that about most of the LFS.

I bet they had "just the thing" that could raise it too!!

Actually when they tested my water and saw my parameters that had nothing to offer me cause my Alkalinity was at the max buffering reading on their tests. PH buffer also bumps alk so they told me to do nothing.

Yeah, biff's right-- your pH is fine. In fact, if it's that stable with no dosing, I'd count your lucky stars if I were you. The important thing with alk and pH is that it's consistent-- no drastic swings.

Its always been like this, nothing really moves around that much pretty much stays in the same range, I use two different test kits just to make sure they are working and have LFS test it whenever I stop in.

When's the last time you did a water change and what percent was it?

I did one yesterday of 30%, will be doing another 30% tomorrow, and 30% on Friday. I recently got my second shipment of rock from TBS.

Why are you doing so many water changes?

I am doing the water changes because of the TBS live rock I got. He sent me tons animals, 90+ snails, 45+hermits, 4 cukes, 2 peppermint shrimp, 2 sea stars, 2 anenomes and much much more. So I am trying to keep the parameters in check so nothing dies.

Am. 0
Trites .3ppmor less
trates 10ppm

ah..might consider using prime or something else that helps reduce ammonia spikes - I've used it with great success during my tank move.

i am gussing becasue of the new rock if you can keep the ammonia down under1ppm than so mush more will live on the rock and it will give you so much more life on the rock

I hoping to keep as much a live on the rock as possible, and really dont mind doing water changes. I have noticed the more water changes that are done the better the coralline grows.

Back