PH okay?

I have trouble reading this API test. Just want to make sure it's okay. I thought it seemed a little darker when I tested a few weeks ago (but I didn't take a picture then).

Also wanted to ask if I need to worry that my KH is only 7, when the test kit says it should be 8-12? This is API too. A few weeks ago it was 8. Maybe this is a sign I need to change more water at water changes or reduce feeding? My fish and corals seem fine. Thanks.

aquarium014.jpg

What time of day are you testing? Ph will rise during the course of the day, so it's best to test hours after your daylights have been on. Also, keep in mind natural sea water has a Ph of 7.8, so you want to aim for something in the range of 8.2 +/-

I tested in the morning and at night. This picture was at night (about an hour before the end of my lighting time) but I took the test before the lights came on and it looked very similar. What level would you say it is at in this picture? Is the alkalinity affected by time of day too?

Can anyone recommend another PH test? This API one is really frustrating, I am never quite sure if I'm okay or not. Regarding the alkalinity, I think I'll try doing a larger water change this weekend to see if I can raise it to 8.

Can anyone recommend another PH test? This API one is really frustrating, I am never quite sure if I'm okay or not. Regarding the alkalinity, I think I'll try doing a larger water change this weekend to see if I can raise it to 8.

I use red sea. Just 3 drops in 6 ml of water and compare the color. Couldn't be easier, and it's cheap too, 25 bucks for NH3/NH4 NO2 NO3 ALK PH.

Back