ph problems?

jhenby

Reefing newb
Hi all! I have a problem...ph is constantly low. Usually hovers around 7.5 to7.8.I have tried seachem buffer which rebounds it to 8.3 or so but within 12 or so hrs, it's back to the usual. The only thing it seems to have raised consistantly is my alkalinity.A quick refresh of my system and parameters are as follows; 46g Bow,60 or so lbs liverock,Pro Clear trickle filter w/ bio balls- about 8 or 10g capacity,Coralife 220 skimmer,Emporor 280 hangon just to pickup extra stuff, 2 koralia 2 fans,Aquaclear 30 powerhead.Lighting is a Sundial HQI pendant run with open top.
Temp- 79
Salinity-1.025
dKH-12
Phos-<.25
Nitrite-0
Nitrate-0
Ammonia-0
Calcium-420
ph-7.6-7.8?....Why?
I change 13 gallons of water every two weeks with a 5 stage RO unit and Red Sea Coral Pro salt.
Is a Kalkwasser drip in my future? This seems like the only solution, and if so what are the typical mixes and dosing as a drip? Thanks in advance as you all have been a great help!

Are you dosing ALk? If so it can have a temp effect on the PH. Also, sometime if you crack a window it will help raise the PH of the tank. Also, consider using a different test kit to see if you get the same reading. Kalkwasser tends to drop PH if i remember right.

Thats a stumper there. The only thing I can say is pull out the baking soda and slowly raise the PH. What brand salt are youusing?

Ive never used that brand, always used IO or reef crystals. You might want to try a diff salt and see if it works. Someone else needs to chime in here im running out of ideas.

Tank inhabitants are;
2-spotted cardinals
2-clarkii clowns
1-brittle star
1-purple condy anemone
1-flower anemone
corals are;
Hammer
Cabbage
Zoos
Devils hand leather
Stubby leather
Brain
Green

Is there by chance any man made live rock in your tank? ive heard of this leeching stuff into the water and altering PH.

I have noticed or experienced no animal or other loss. Fish and inverts look great! The only thing I have noticed is when the ph falls off the stubby leather looks like it's a melting marshmellow and turns white, and the large green polyp rock that I have that is covered seem to not come out and when they do have a whitish spots on them.

I guess if nothing is dying and everything seems to be okay, then its not that bad. I have no idea what it could be then. Im out of suggestions.

The rest of them look great. I have even had huge growth,like 15 plus zoos pop up in like three weeks time and the devils hand I bought easily is 5X the size he was when I bought him a month and a half or so ago!The hammer coral also has I would say at least 25 new starts on it!

I know I'm baffeled too. Kalk will raise the ph.So I'm thinking this is my only option!
Thanks for you're input though...We'll see if anyone else has any suggestions?

Well not really. My stubby will die off and the large green polyp rock will also die as they seem the most susseptible to the low ph. I can't keep adding buffer every day two keep the ph up. So something else has to be done. My alk is rising but the ph keeps falling off.

Back