ph problems?

I know that chaeto and the like will diminish the CO2 and will be a benefit but this is beyond just a conversion. I just can't understand why my ph would be so low. Like I said the seachem buffer does work but only for like 12 or so hours.The result of this is that my ph returns to the higher 7's while my alkalinity is maxed at 12. At 12 I should have a high ph problem not a low one! It just doesn't make sense. The only thing I can concur is that maybe somewhere along the line my water is being manipulated so much that it is causing an unstable ph.and the only thing I have read that will remedy this situation is dosing with kalkwasser. Even with my RO system our water does come from our cities main source which is the Miami river.So that may have a bearing on it?

Bye the way if anyone asks or is interested. PH straight out of the tap here is 8.8.Through the RO...7. TDS through a meter is about 190 here, through the RO I have is<10.

Here's some ideas I have for why you may be seeing a decrease in pH:

1) not enough surface agitation for adequate gas exchange... means CO2 is elevated, and that will have a DRASTIC effect on your pH. Fix: put a power head aimed at the surface of the water so it's rippling. Get chaeto in our system somehow so it removes CO2 directly from the water.

2) Odd decor items leaching organic acids: driftwood will leach tannic acid. got any in your tank?

3) Elevated phosphates: this will tie up some of your KH, which decreases the buffering capacity of your system.

4) Organic acids can be released by some corals as a defensive mechanism... zoanthids in particular come to mind. If this might be a concern for you, run some carbon through your system for a day or two. That'll remove most organic acids.

that's all I can think of to help... kalkwasser is a short-term solution (remember to go slow though! fast pH changes are bad news), but in the longer term, it would be good for you to examine your system and find the acid source.

good luck!

As far as surface agitation I do have a powerhead close to the surface,and using the Emporer 280 hangon it has a spraybar for the bio wheel and discharges at the surface creating agitation,plus I am running the system open top so I wouldn't think air transfer would be a problem.In my sump the skimmer discharges then falls through the grate into the bio balls so I would think this should create even more oxygen.I have no odd decoratons in the tank, just liverock.

seachem reef buffer will help with the ph. why is your tap water testing at 8.8????
i would get your test kit checked it may be bad tap water hould only be around 7 ph maybe a bit more but not much.

What PH kits have you tryed?
When you drip kalk,it'll raise the PH,but its also gonna run your alkalinity up.
Open a window close to the tank.If its close enough,get some extra airline tubing and run it from the air intake on your skimmer,out the window.That'll let your skimmer draw 100% fresh outside air.
You'd be surprised at how much better built those old houses are.They are a lot tighter than whats built now.

I went through a phase where I was freaking out about my pH. Mine was running 7.8--7.9 pretty much all the time.

I could dose SeaChem buffer, but 18hrs later it was all used up and the alkalinity was sky high, just like yours.

I decided my problem was high levels of co2 in the tank. I run a HOB refugium. I just slapped a 60gph powerhead in the return section. It's 1/2 way out of the water, so it basically just takes the water in the return section and churns it up before it can go back in the tank. All it's doing is creating turbulence (rapid gas exchange)

ph steady at 8.2 now.

See video. The powerhead was on when I started the video and I unplugged it momentarily to show the water turbulence without it. Then plugged it in again.

that's funny, I'm having the same issues (I just posted on the newb thread). It happened since my skimmer died (return pump should be here any day now) and, after everyone's advice, I think it is because of the reduced o2...

Put a pump in your return section if you have a sump. Aim the pump so it boils the water.

You'll see increased evaporation, so keep an eye on your top offs. But you'll also see increased oxygen levels in the tank and lowered co2 levels.

The Ph kits I have are API and I have a Tetra kit. Both were exactly right on each other.I do have an extra powerhead so I'll give it a try. Thanks...I'll let you guys know.

my PH restored to normal levels once my skimmer was installed, with just a bit of ph buffer. Must've been the o2/co2 - thanks guys!

I just read through this thread and I have a question. Are you guys in the habit of buffering your topoff water? Should a good system be able to deal with the lower ph level of RO/DI topoff and keep the tank ph in check?

Back