PH Tester????

baeya

Aquarium Addict
So, I bought a Hanna PH tester. I just couldn't get a reading with my API wide range PH kit. The color I was getting from the SW tank wasn't on the card. I know the FW tanks were testing accurate with the API kit because our town sends out water analysis letters every year. I got the Hanna tester but, didn't realize I needed to buy reagents for it so, I ordered those, too.
I did the calibration, tested my FW, and it was right.....7.8. Tested the SW tank and it was 7.1. YIKES! I called the manufacturer and they said it should be able to test SW and to call back and talk to tech. I called but, they weren't available. Called the reef store that I go to. They tested my SW tank before and it was 8.1 to see if they had a High range PH test kit cause the two pet store close to me didn't have them. I ended up bringing the reef store a sample of my water again and yes, it was 8.1. Reef store didn't have the High range PH kit either. :(

Does anyone here use the Hanna PH testers for SW? I'm thinking I just got a bad unit.

Thanks, Amba.
I refused to believe that my SW tank PH was 7.1. I think my Seahorses would have melted!

I would go for a reliable titration test, if a reef controller is not on the table. pH strips (litmus paper), pH meters, color changing suction cup meters , all very inaccurate.

That is odd, usually the API pH tests are just fine. Might the test kit have gone bad?

It is about a year old..... I have the wide range test kit and it seems to be correct on the freshwater tanks and my tap water but, when using for the saltwater, the color just doesn't match anything. The guy at the reef store used an API high end test kit and the color chart is different and there was a match for my water. Oh well, live and learn....

On a different note.... I have purple coralline algae sprouting up all over my dry rock!! It's gonna be so pretty!

So your API test kit is not a salt water reef tank kit? They come with high range pH testing. I use that kit and a Red Sea "reef foundation pro test kit". I have taken water to my best LFS to do a comparison and come up a match.

I don't know if any of that helps.

So your API test kit is not a salt water reef tank kit? They come with high range pH testing. I use that kit and a Red Sea "reef foundation pro test kit". I have taken water to my best LFS to do a comparison and come up a match.

I don't know if any of that helps.

That's correct....it isn't a salt water test kit. That's why I bought the PH meter but, it isn't working correctly. I've checked most of the pet stores and aquarium stores for the high range PH test kit and none of them have it. Being that the reef shop tested it, I'm comfortable that my PH is good at 8.1. I will probably just order the high range PH test kit online. Or maybe look into the reef pro test kit as I now have a couple mushrooms and some zoas.

PetSmart and Petco both carry saltwater pH test kits, if you have one of those nearby.

Called them both.....neither one had the high range, just the wide range. I'll just order one online or wait for the Reef store to get them in. He said he was going to be getting more in and I would rather buy from them than order online. Plus it gives me an excuse to go to the Reef Store!! I picked up a couple mushrooms when I took the water in to be tested. Just couldn't justify driving 1/2 hour and come home with nothin!

I'm not sure I understand why you need a high range pH test kit. You just need a saltwater pH test kit. That will be in the correct range for your tank. The regular old saltwater API test kits are fine. If your old API test kit wasn't working, it probably was expired or was a bad test kit.

I'm not sure I understand why you need a high range pH test kit. You just need a saltwater pH test kit. That will be in the correct range for your tank. The regular old saltwater API test kits are fine. If your old API test kit wasn't working, it probably was expired or was a bad test kit.

ok? it is my understanding.. and I have nothing to back this up.. that the high range pH test kit is more accurate at the 8.2 range... ?? ok, who really knows about this?

*Easy-to-use liquid test solution measures low or high range pH*Essential for maintaining proper pH levels for aquarium fish and plants*Match the color of the test solution against color chart for accurate test results
logo-API.gif
pH Low Range Test Kit - pH control is imperative to prevent the harmful effects of water that is either too alkaline or too acidic for fish and plant life. Tests pH levels from 6.0 to 7.6. 250 tests per kit. For freshwater.

pH High Range Test Kit - Use to measure pH changes in marine aquariums, aquariums with African cichlids, and very alkaline tap water. Reads the pH of water within the high range of 7.4 to 8.8. 160 tests per kit. For fresh/saltwater. Please click on "More Information" for instructions.

Yes, the high range is what I need. It is one test kit for fresh or salt water and, it includes a different color chart for fresh or salt water.
Although the kit I have is called wide range, I think it is for fresh water only. I did a google on wide range and it appears that the wide range test kits are mainly used for ponds. It goes from 5.0 to 9.0.

I just tucked the seahorses in for the night. I'm going to ask Santa to get them a new light for their tank with a dimmer. They kind of jump when I click the light off at night even though I turn the HOB refugium light on first and they aren't in total darkness......

Back