Phastrohs 220 Gallon Build - Pic Heavy

Ok so if you look at this thread you will see my 2 island design I have had for a long time.

Well I have been itching for a change even though I like it. I wanted to get up higher in the water and saw a design that had a big pile to the left and a smaller one to the right with one rock in the middle. Sounds simple but the layout and coral looked amazing.

So I decided to just do what I could the day before I changed the water. I should have drained the water and did it but it just kind of happened.

Now please don't kill me if you hate the idea but basically I moved the majority to the left side but not against the glass so I can get back there and clean.

The plan changed at that point because I actually do not have enough rock in the shapes I needed and with it being off the glass for support it made it harder.

I trailed it off as best I could and used the bridge I made to give it a slope in the back and built up some in the middle. I have to still finish the right side but stopped because my male clown fish kept attacking me and I got tired of flicking his face. Now don't post fish abuse, I would never flick it like that, just like chased it away but man he was bold. I have had them for years and they are always nice but after about 45 minutes of construction I think he had enough.

So I have to still move my clam and tidy up the sand and maybe remove some odd shaped small rock s that just do not have a place, or find them on hidden behind a wall.

I think I got it all in there solid I HOPE. I do not want the hear my tank explode tonight. I always put stuff in place and then give it a good shake. A little loose I can have but nothing bad.

So the photo is sort of bad due to floating sand particles but I had to already keep the lights on or turn them back on for extended time so the LEDs are really glaring off the water.

Tomorrow it will be clear but I still have to tide it up, clean the sane, rearrange bad ideas and you know just small stuff but the basic idea is there. I can always go back to the islands because I have so many pix it should be easy plus I know where all the certain support rocks have to go.

OLD

I have lost some corals since the before pix on the bottom!
FInal-4 by Phastroh1, on Flickr
New-Rock-Layout-3-13 by Phastroh1, on Flickr

Last edited:
Thanks dude! I was a little unsure as I was doing it. It was like the rocks would not fit in right. Right now my hands are killing me haha I tossed my gloves a month ago and my rocks have those pokey things growing on them all over the back side.

I was looking at it today and I know if I wanted to add more rock I would have to use the glass to be safe and I kind of like the open glass to the left side so I can clean or get empty snail shells. Dang I had 10 of those large shells from the big snails.

You can't see it but if you look in the old layout there is that huge bubble coral in the middle and right now it is still there. I kind of like it in the back cave. It sits behind where you see the yellow tang on the other side. you can see it as you walk up at least. I kind of want it there also because it takes up such a large space and it likes the shade.

The rocks start in that big pile and then split into two slow drops one using rocks and one using the bridge I made.

I will tidy it up more later or when I go to the stores I look for dry rock in shapes I know I can use.

On another not I purchased a tiny, tiny Koran Angel in the hopes it would grow to eat only food I feed since it was so small and young but man even at barely 2" it seems to peck at corals. It eats my food and I see it pecking at my small patch of Cyano that comes and goes and also sponges. Frikin hog.

Thanks, I think the fish like it haha. It gives them a reef and an open area to swim more. Now I need to get some Acro frags but only after my phosphates come back down.

They were at nill and then bam they went up. I had a fish vanish so maybe that rotting fish didn't help and it was medium sized.

I always find that when I see an blooms I find a fish missing. Not a lot but over the years.

I am selling my Hippo Tang locally. It is at least 6". This photo is one side of my 220 gal.

I posted it on CL and basically said I will start to try to catch it after a 50% deposit. I can't have it in my small HOB Refugium for who knows how long. It will be tough to catch for sure but I have a plan due to it being the biggest hog in the tank I can bait it to my trap.

Even so I can't imagine how long it will take but my new layout will help for sure.

I did not have an asking price because at this size I have seen them from $129-$199 and even more.

Attachments

• Hippo-1.jpg
    Hippo-1.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 286
  • Hippo-2.jpg
    Hippo-2.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 336
Dang Smitty your tank is frikin amazing looking last time I looked at the pix. I kept wanting to tell you but life is hectic these days.

You can't see my whole tank but I just put in like 13 frags of various types. Was thinking of adding more rock back in because I saw some sweet rock $75 for 40 pounds of really nice similar to Marcos Rocks. Nice and light and pourus. Different than my rock so it would be cool but I am so used to having open swimming areas and the sort of recent layout changes so eh I may hold off. Plus I added 2 Magnum 8's to my 4 Evo 1400's on the wave maker.

Anyway just wanted to tell you your tank looks tight. I feel like just yesterday it was a baby haha

Cool cuc. :)

Dennis, what's up! That Cuc is the same one I got from Richard way back when I started my 80Gal Bow Front. Got it in 2010 even though I posted that TB Saltwater pic in January. Shit I can't even remember the exact month it was but since then it went from 2 inches to 8 inches.

Last edited:
Back