phophates?

FishyReef

Broke Reefer!
Okay guys, I had my water tested today at my local club meeting using a lab grade phosphate test, and my levels came out off the charts. Now I have no indication that there is a phosphate problem in my tank. What gives?

I took a fresh sample to be tested by my LFS, and it came back at .05-.10. Not as accurate of a test, I'm sure, but better than the .60 from the professional test. Today my fish are showing signs of ich for the first time ever. Leads me to think that maybe phosphates are higher than .10 and the fish are stressed (no new fish in 5-6 weeks, the last 2 additions came from divers den, and no new fish prior to that since early August). I don't have a phosphate reactor, but am wondering if I can just put phos-ban media in a sock filter and run it in my sump?

I'm worried about my fish, and this all just sucks :(

Yes, you can put it in your sump in an area of high flow. Good luck. :( I'm really not sure what's going on with your tank. But I would advise to not get any more fish until you figure out what's happening. Or until things settle.

I hadn't planned on getting any more fish until after the holidays anyway. I'm just really bummed. Everything has been so healthy, and then my alk gets out of whack and it seems like everything is going to hell. And I have no idea why. Nothings died, the tds on my RO/DI still reads 0, the guy who did the tests thinks the container I brought the water in was probably contaminated, but it still doesn't explain why I would have some phosphates to start. My alk is crazy low, calc is crazy high, fish are stressed, acans are stressed. I feed exactly the same, if not less than what I used to feed. Nothing makes sense. And I feel completely helpless with it all :(

Have you tested your new saltwater? Just sounds like you got some bad salt. The rodi is 0 you have done nothing different. I would think it has to be the replacement water.

Back