Phosban Phosphate Reactor

blazk

Reefing newb
Hey all thought i would get inspired and make a DIY phosban reactor. Works on a gravity feed cost me about $5 for parts.
Here are some pictures.

Full View
phosphate1.JPG

Top View
phosphate2.JPG

Parts (Container $2.50, Old 2 x 100 dvd spindle, 1 x 13mm 90 Degree, 1 x straight 13mm threaded)
phosphate4.JPG

Inlet hose (13mm) with a ball valve for flow control
phosphate5.JPG

Closer view of the Ball Valve
phosphate.JPG

Ill post some working pictures once i put in the sponges and phosban media.
Enjoy and thanks for reading.

Pretty cool idea. If the spindle was hollow and you were able to push the water down to the bottom it would work great.

ok that was a failure. Leaked and also was very had to put anywhere.
So i decided to make another one out of an old fish syphoning acrylic tube.

All gravity fed from the top of the tank.
Round 2
phosv27.JPG

phosv28.JPG

Feeding Hose with maxjet end on it, held with 2 spare suction caps
phosv26.JPG

Tested and 100% working. i also moved the valve down to the bottom of the reactor for ease of use. Filled it with phosban adjusted the flow and away it went. Cost = $5 for the pvc parts. which were:
2 x 35mm down to 20mm
1x 20mm 90 degree elbow with 1 threaded end
1 x 20mm to 20 mm threaded
2 x 13 mm 20 mm threaded hose joints.
1 x 13mm ball valve
pvc glue
sponge
13mm piping

Since it's gravity fed, I assume it dumps into your sump after the reactor since it can't make it back up to the tank without being pumped back up. What happens if your power goes out and your not home? With the feed line so deep in the tank, it will siphon all the water out of the tank, into the sump and then all over the floor. It does not look like a safe setup to me.

oh dear i didnt think of that...sigh back to the drawing board :)
can i just chuck the bag in the sump for the time being ?
or maybe make the hose feed line closer to the top of the tank?

You can just toss the bag in the sump, but it won't be very efficient and there is the possibility it will solidify. The reason a reactor is recommended for GFO is twofold. 1-You get full contact with the water and media. 2-The GFO tumbling in the reactor prevents it from binding together and becoming 1 solid chunk of rust.

If you really want to DIY an efficient reactor, the water needs to enter the top, like your 1st attempt, go down a tube and be released at the bottom of the reactor. The media sits above the outlet on the bottom and as the water rises it has no choice but to pass thru the media.

Here's a good article on the use of GFO.
Iron Oxide Hydroxide (GFO) Phosphate Binders

Went back and came up with this.
Didn't cost anything had the parts already.
1 x Juice Bottle
phosside.JPG

Drilled Holes On the top to let the water back out
phostop.jpg

The Flow is governed by a ball valve just out of view. The down pipe sits just below the surface so that if there is a power failure the water level will drop below the hose shutting down the syphon action.
phosinlet.JPG

Its working very well. No dust or media escaping.

Back