Phosban Reactor

NewbReefer

Reefing newb
I love MarineDepot it's a good thing there store isn't in my area :D I got my large shipment from them today and i got my TwoLittleFishes Phosban reactor all hooked up gonna test my phosphates right now (last time i checked 5 days ago and it was about 1-1.5 so we'll see how it does.

PhosbanReactor.JPG

Last edited:
Nice, what phosphate media are you using? Remember to keep the flow low through the reactor because when the media fluidizes it can rub and create a dust, so slow is good, mine dribbles out.

yeah i noticed that in the instructions it said you want a low flow rate, im using a maxi jet 1200 which is a bit much so i have the butterfly valve closed quite a bit. i do have a small 80gph pump i may use instead so im not holding the pump back so much. Im using the TwoLittleFishies phosban media. What kind have you been using?

I am using RowaPhos, which at like $75 a liter is kinda much, I am switching to a generic brand from twopartsolution.com when I run out. I would keep the 1200, you can use it to fluidize carbon in the TLF reactor. I would get in the habit of every month replacing the media and running carbon for 3 days in between the phosban. The carbon will keep your water clear and and the phosban will keep your tank clean.

how often have you been changing out your phosphate media? I usually place a carbon bag inbetween the baffles where the water falls through it but i will defenitly have to try running it in the reactor for a better effect.

I have been changing it out at about 4-6 weeks or so, it depends on water changes, feeding and such. But I am using a Hanna photometer to test for phosphates so I can watch to see when the media is used up. Passive (in a bag in the sump) carbon use can contribute to increased nitrate levels if it is left in the sump for a while. In a reactor carbon tends to be used up quickly and after three days should be replaced. You don't want to run carbon a lot though, use it every now and then as an extra.

tested my phosphates yesterday night and it read 1.0 on my salifert test kit. got up this this morning and tested again, it read 0. so far well worth the money, now lets see how the algea reacts to it. :D

I just picked up the Kent phosphate reactor at ThatFishPlace last night. I will keep everyone up to date on how this one works also.

How much media are you using at a time? the Kent unit says to use one quart of Phosphate Sponge. That seems like a lot to me.

i bought the 450g media container for my reactor and didn't use all of it. Indeed we should get some different brands of reactors and media on here so people can see what others have thought of em before they go spend the cash on one.

Ferric Iron is ferric iron, it is hard to get good or better ferric iron. Fluidized filtration is good filtration, I have not really noticed any phosphate reactors except fluidized reactors being offered for sale. You can have fluidized filtration with some pretty slow flow, just add no more than recommended to chamber at one time. Use a little and change it more often works best. Even loosing a little powder into the tanks will have negligible effect in comparison to the advantages of having the media fluidized. I just use Drs. Foster and Smith house brand for feeric iron as it is cheap and works as well as any other Ihave used. I do not use or errecommend aluminum based phosphate removers. Ferric iron should only really be used when you need it. You should make attempts at controlling the inputs of phosphate so that the ferric iron is not needed regularly. By controlling phosphate inputs you are typically also controlling other inputs. Most phosphates come from foods and tap water, or come with your live rock and live sand. Use good RO or RODI water, do not feed the liquids from frozen foods, do not used flake foods and try to avoid dry foods and pellets. Use phosphate absorbers anytime you add new live rock or live sand or move your live rock or live sand. Phosphate absorbers will not lessen diatomic algae when you have high levels of silicates. Actually controlling phosphates is really one of the last approaches to contolling any type of algae. Before controlling phopahte control of nitrogens, dissolved oxygen (circulation) should be dealt with as phosphate is usually not the limiting agent as very little phosphate is needed for algae growth.

Last edited:
I just tested my phosphates this morning befor my water change to see if the level dropped since Wednesday night when I installed the Kent reactor. My reading is at 0 from .05 using PhosphateSponge in the reactor. Now ,lets see if I can clear the algae in the tank.

Day 3 or so on mine and the green film like crust that use to cover the surface of the rock is about 50% gone! and the glass stays stays much much cleaner :D now if only it will kill the cyano, i may have to go a day or 2 with lights out to give it a boost.

Let the phosphate absorber run its course and then start using a good carbon in between running the phosphate absorber, remember that nothing good in this hobby happens quickly.

If you have actinic supplemental lighting just run it and no other lights for a few days to a week. The actinic wave lengths do not support the lighting needs of cyano bacteria (algae), yet they still support a good portion of the lighting needs of coralline and corals. In reef areas of any depth in the wild about the only lighting left at depths is blue light.

Remember to try and remove the cyano as it dies or the nutrients will just reenter your system. A siphon hose of some size reduced to a small tube at the end your siphoning the algae with will have good enough suction to pull the cyano loose from the rocks and gravel as it dies.

Back