phosphate/carbon reactor

lilduud

Reefing newb
i decided to invest in the dual chamber bulk reef supply GFO and Carbon reactor...Dual BRS GFO and Carbon Reactor - English
it arrived two days ago and i set it up yesterday... im using the regular granular ferric oxide [even though i wanted the high capacity gfo but it was out of stock] and the ROX 0.8 high performance carbon. im actually using less carbon than gfo as instructed by the site but my question is regarding tumbling.... i was under the impression that the carbon should remain still and packed into the chamber however i can not set my flow rate low enough to prevent the carbon from tumbling more than the GFO. it ran clean after about a gallon so even tumbling like that it doesnt seem to release dust... when i first packed it i tried to keep the carbon sandwiched between the foam pads but the water flow pushed the top one off.. should i try the foam pad again to pack it down? or does it even matter hat its tumbling?

here are the reactants im using...

GFO:
1 Pound (453 Grams) Bulk GFO Granular Ferric Oxide - English

Carbon:
1.5 Pounds- Half Gallon Premium ROX 0.8 Aquarium Carbon - English

even if its not working to its potential there is a noticeable difference in water clarity/colour... this stuff is great!
still though is this the most efficient way to be running it?

Back