Phosphate Levels/ Powerhead

bg3489

Reefing newb
I have two quick questions... First off I tested my Phosphate levels today and they were between .5-1.0 ppm. I use RO/DI water and Instant Ocean salt and really dont feed too much.. What could be the cause of these phosphates and how much should I worry? Also I wanted to add more flow to my 115 gallon reef tank. I keep a clam, some softies, a few lps hard corals, brains, mushrooms, Gorgonian, etc. I have just a pipe hooked up to a pump now That is in the middle of the tank and flows toward the right wall. This is really not enough flow ( I don't know the specs on the pump, etc, I did not install or purchase it). But I was wondeing what kinda of a powerhead and pump if needed should I get? I was lookign at maxi-jets and others but didnt know the proper flow rate for my tank. Should one more powerhead suffice or is more reccomened? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I feed the fish mostly Formula Two flakes and then around 3 times a week I feed frozen mysis. I don't rinse it off however. I also feed phytoplex occassionally.

I had phosphate (and then major algae) problems when I fed Ocean Nutrition flakes also. I switched to only using frozen and my phosphates (and algae) went away. I let the cube melt in a little bit of RO water, put it in a strainer and rinse it with water for a few seconds before I add it to my tank. I've heard that adding frozen straight to your tank can add phosphates too. Don't know if that's true, but I don't feel like testing it out ;).

Yes biff is right flakes and pellats are bad. I also had phos and algae then switched to frozen now its cleared up. On a tank that big I would get the maxijet 1200 and add a mod to it. The mods can make it 1200 or 2400 gph, also the good thing about the mods are there a dispersed flow so its not one shap jet in the water. Here is a link to mjmods for sale.MJmods.com, Mod your Maxi jet into a high flow pump

And if your a DIY'er here is a link to DIY it and this link also shows it in action.
Reef Videos
The vid on the mods is the fourth row from the top and the third vid to the right. Good luck and keep us posted.

I just went to the LFS to re-test and found that I most likely just mixed up the Phospahte test. The colors were close together and i must have mixed them up! In regards to the powerheads I am considering either teh Seio or Maxi-jet. Is two enough for a 115 gallon tank and is it possible for anybody to suggest where to place them? Also can I run these off my current pump or do I need to buy a new one? Thanks

Either one will work,but if your tank is like most 115gal. which are kinda deep I would go with the Seio since it has a wider flow.Place them on opposite ends
close enough to the surface to cause surface agitation,or on the back glass near the corner, angled
the outlet near the center front glass....placement is endless.

I just recently set up my tank and wanted to go with these but they were way to expensive....Aquarium Specialty
so I went with these instead....Water Pumps & Wavemakers: Hydor Koralia Water Circulation Pump
I am waiting on two of the Koralia 3 now.They are on backorder til the 16th.

Last edited:
Back