Phosphate, Other parameters

RedTornado

Reefing newb
So I finally went out and picked up a phosphate test kit. I tested my tank and it read 0. Then when i went to do my weekly water change i tested the new water i was going to add. It read between .25ppm and .5ppm witch i now is high. I take it the algae that is in my tank is sucking it all up witch is why it is reading 0. I do use RO water from the local grocery store. I am saving up for a RODI unit from BRS. My question is what can i do to lower my phosphates in the mean time? I do have chaeto in the fuge. I was thinking about getting a phosphate reactor to run GFO and carbon but is it necessary? Anything else you would recommend?

Also i just switched over to a Reef Salt mix (Seachem brand) and i was wondering what should the parameters be and what should i be testing for (other then ammonia, nitrites, nitrates and PH)? As of now i do not have any coral but i am looking to go the route soon. I just want to be sure i can keep everything stable before i make the leap to go reef.

Thanks again.

You can run Phos-ban in a reactor or use a liquid Phosphate remover or do water changes only using RODI saltwater or any combination of these.

If you want to upgrade to reef you will need to add alkalinity and calcium to your list if you want to keep corals besides the softies.

I do use RO water from the local grocery store. I am saving up for a RODI unit from BRS.
Thanks again.

If the RO water has phosphates that high, obviously it is not RO water. An RO filter should get all phosphates out. It might also be that the salt mix has phosphates -unusual but not unheard of.

Back