phosphate reactor install ?'s

mmfrock

Reefing newb
I am trying to find out if my new phosphate reactor was installed/ is working properly. I am using ferric oxide granuals and it says on the jar that the "flow should be reduced significantly to avoid tumbling so that the granuals do not get pulverized". Therefore...i have done that, reduced the flow via the valve that came on the intake tube/pump and mine is barely tumbling. Is this correct?

I have been running the new reactor for two weeks and doing water changes every week and my phosphates are still .25 which is where the numbers were when i started thinking about getting a reactor. So no change yet, does it just take a little longer to see results?

Thank you all!

You should have the flow adjusted so that the GFO moves, but isn't tossed around. Also, depending on what your level was at to begin with, the GFO most likely has absorbed as much as it will hold, there fore is not working any longer. Change it out with fresh GFO.

ok well mine sortof "dances" i dont know how to describe it but some of it is lifted up into the water column and tossed but it seems very soft movement. i did add a bit of fresh granuals today, however the lfs store guy told me the the phosoban media lasts about a month before needing changed. My phosphate started out as .25 and is still .25.

Your flow sounds right. And for the most part, the LFS guy is right, depending on your phosphates. If you are testing .25 they are more likely than not, higher and being consumed by algae before they can be read. In any event, the GFO is not unlimited in it's capabilities and will begin to not do anything once it has absorbed it's max phosphates.

Back