Phosphate reactor

LOSTTAC

Reefing newb
I have a Kent Marine Phosphate Reactor that i use with PhosBan Media. I know when using PhosBan that i'm not suppose to have the media tumbling inside the reactor. The question is if I use Kent Marine Power-Phos media instead what should the new water flow pressure be. Can i have the media tumbling or should it be the same as Phosban.

I've never used the Kent media.But I'm guessing its about the same as the Phos-ban.So I dont think I would make it tumble.

Actually you DO want it to tumble gently. If it's tumbling too much is can break down, but if you don't have it tumbling at all it can turn into a solid chunk of iron and you won't be able to get it out of the reactor.

Actually you DO want it to tumble gently. If it's tumbling too much is can break down, but if you don't have it tumbling at all it can turn into a solid chunk of iron and you won't be able to get it out of the reactor.

That makes sense to me.Never knew that though.

Iron Oxide Hydroxide (GFO) Phosphate Binders by Randy Holmes-Farley
From the article....
"Many aquarists use GFO in a fluidized bed reactor. This method reduces the likelihood of forming the particles into an unusable solid cake, although it does not always prevent this from happening. Some manufacturers sell reactors for this purpose. Some aquarists that have used the GFO in a traditional media bag report that it formed a brick in short order. Such caking may relate to calcium carbonate precipitation, or even to bacteria that are known to be able to knit the surfaces of two small iron oxide hydroxide particles together into a single particle.[SIZE=-1]16"[/SIZE]

The directions that come with the reactor says slightly tumbleing. I really new to replace my media. I finally put it on my PU list.

Thanks everyone I wasn't sure on how to set the water flow up with the new media. I just have a slight tumble so hopefully it wont become a brick.

Back