Phosphate Sponges (PhosBan, etc)

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by kevinsimons, Dec 31, 2007.

1. kevinsimons

kevinsimons

I've been using Phos Ban pretty religiously for the last 3 months or so, along with Marine SAT - and have my hair algae problem almost entirely under control (much to the consternation of the Astrea snails, which grew very large with the massive food supply). But I digresss.

I bought Kent Marine (a preferred manufacturer in my book) Phosphate Sponge from my new fav LFS - and actually RTFM'd (translation: read the F****ing Manual, or in this case, the label). They said to leave the stuff in for 8 hours to 2 days maximum, 1 dry quart per 120 gallons of water.

I've been putting in about 1/4 cup (or 1/32 of a dry quart?) into the filter, and changing it out every couple weeks - way different from their instructions. What do you guys all do??

kevinsimons, Dec 31, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. kevinsimons

yote Ceritfied Mantis Hunter Moderator

I been running Phos-Guard.It says your supposed to just use it a couple a days then remove.I pretty much been leaving it in and completely changing it out about every 3rd week.

Been running Chemi-Pure Elite to.The label says it good for 4 to 6 months.I plan on replacing it once a month though.

yote, Jan 1, 2008
    kevinsimons likes this.
    1. Advertisements

3. kevinsimons

Doc I don't work for anybody

i prefer phosguard. I keep it in for a month and change it out

-Doc

Doc, Jan 1, 2008
    kevinsimons likes this.
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question