Phosphate

fishman

Reefing newb
I have had a green algae problem for a while so I purchased a phosphate test kit .MY phosphate reading is 0.1 ppm,but I have no info on the reading .Is this good or bad .Could this be my algae problem and if it is what can I do to lower the phosphates .Here is a picture to show the algae.Thanks

9-24002.jpg

sponge

I dont think 0.1 is very high since my test kit has the lowest reading at 0.0 and the next at 0.5 Although I read a thread that said levels above detection can cause algae blooms. A phosphate sponge can help lower phosphates. I use a Kent Marine sponge, tried to use in my emperor 400 extra compartments but the pieces are too small, ended up using a mesh bag. Heard old pair of pantyhose work well! Be careful though, when first reacting with water the sponge material can become extremely hot. High nitrates maybe causing algae? also how long do you keep you lights on?

Last edited:
check out the new post in the articles section let me know if it gives you any ideas. If you are reading phosphates you need to determine where they are comming from and correct the problem and in the short term use a phosphate extractor i.e. Chemi-Mat or phosphate filter pads by Dr. Foster & Smith. oh and add more herbivores, snails, crabs, tang? just a thought.

Last edited:
I agree a tang would eat all them greens in heart beat.I added a yellow tang and my rocks have not shown one ounce of green algae since

Back