Phosphates

Chris

Reefing newb
I was reading today about the build up of phosphates in "Marine Fish & Reef" 2005 annual. It was saying that as you feed your fish you slowly build up phosphates in the water. With a good skimmer, water changes and decent scavengers you probably will not have any issues. I was wondering if anyone used a phosphate reactor and what their experiences were on this area?

Phosphate reactor

I will be using a phosphate reactor with phosban. the reactor is a phosban 150 by two little fishes. since I have not run it yet I do not have any feed back, however, it is anticipated to run 24/7 and the phosban will be changed out every 2 months. I like to feed and will have approx. 8 fish as well as corals. I will post findings when I'm cycled, up and running and when all equipment is on line. I probably will not run it at 1st until I detect some amount of phosphate so will probable be awhile before I have any meaningful inpute, but, have thought this one through and for me and the type of systems I manage, the phosban reactor is definitely a plus.

In a real reef fish are constantly eating, in a home system we almost starve our live stock. I wish I could feed 2 or 3 times a day instead of once every 2 days. I think I will look more into a phosphate reactor in the next few days.

hi
phosphate reactor would help but i would say that you would not need one if you have a decent skimmer and keep your waterchanges often that and a good crew of scavengers as you said i think that see how your tank goes and then if you start to see problems such as a more than normal growth in cyno then i would start looking at getting a phosphate reactor.
hope this helps

Cool, I do water changes once a month or so. I also use a Euro-Reef skimmer which I love!! Loads of fish poop! :twisted:

Chris, you do not have to just feed every 2 days. feed same amount but less at each feeding and more often. (that is if you are not starving your charge) a phosphate reactor is only a tool to assist in removing excess phosphates not a cure for the problem. balance is better. a small refuge would also be a consideration. dont buy unless you need it and cannot fix it any other way. I intend to plumb one in and have it ready when I need it, but, I like to feed my charge and from time to time I need the extra help, but, you may be able to balance and not need one. hope this helps.

Thanks! I already have a refuge under the tank and it works great with a 0 nitrates. :D I don't seem to have any phosphate problem but I guess I should buy a test kit since I already test for most everything else, just in case.

testing is good, however, since you are up and running, you probably know your tank pretty good. if all looks well dont break it. sometimes you can over test. if all is doing well testing every couple weeks or each month just as a precaution is fine, unless you see something that just dosnt look right then weekly or more. at least thats my thought on it. some do not test but on occasion if all looks ok and some test multible times a week. where ever your confort level is at when things are looking good. I'm looking for a complete reef/salt test kit but do not want to buy freshwater to get the complete kit. havent found a suitable master kit yet. maybe that would be a good subject to start a thread. will see.

phosphate reactor

I'm going to use the phosban 150 reactor from two little fishes with Phosban for the media. phosban will saturate without leaching back into the tank, or, so they say. anyway that is what i will use and change out media every two months. purchased the 1200 g bucket. will set it up and use it on an as need basis, once it appears i need it will use it 24/7 and reevaluate every 6 months or so. hope something here helps.

I have my reactor running like a champ now. I had to flush it out for quite a bit of time to get the brown dust out, I have the top lay of phosban chruning like the instructions say. I hope I have it right.

I take it by your post you installed a phosphate reactor? let us know how you like it. I called off the construction crew due to rain so the equipment shed didnt get built yet and im not on the front burner any more so will be another month or two before i start installing the equipemnt. working on hood fans and lignting now. you didnt say if you tested for phosphates and if you had any reading?

Actually, I never tested for it. Since the entire reactor was less than $100 I figured it wouldn't hurt.

I can't wait to see your install.

after you have the reactor running for a couple of weeks let us know if you notice any improvement in your animals. more pics this week in couple days.

Wow is all I have to say! Once I got my MH lights I added an anenome to the my main tank and had to run my lights 12 hours a day. All of a sudden my LR that had no coraline algea got covered in green slime algea. I added that phospate reactor a few weeks ago and I can see my rocks again. A few more weeks and my clean up crew along with the reactor should have everything back to perfect shape. I would recomend everyone buying one of these from TwoLittle Fish. :bowdown:

thanks for the feed back chris. sounds like a good investment. keep us posted. as you know i am continuing to set up. equipemnt shed almost done.

try a product called PO4 minus works great. Binds the molecules and allows your skimmer to worf more efficiently at removing phosphates. They it sell it at my lfs

add it right to your tank it is a liquid. 1/2 to one capful per 25 gal. daily until phosphates are undetectable. Be sure to test

Back