Phosphates

U4BOYZ

Got Fish?
My phosphates seem to be a bit high. It's hard for me to interpret the coloring on the chart...but they're somewhere between .25mg and 0.5mg. First off is this a problem? Secondly, is there something I use to bring them down? Why do they get high? Overfeeding? Thanks. :frustrat:

I have a question about reading the test. I have the API phophates kit and my test result is almost clear and doesn't match any of the chart colors. Is that good?

They are usually present in tap water and I've read they can leech out of carbon if it is in too long. Also, they are in certain food products such as the liquid in frozen foods although I just cant get myself to strain that water out. I've read macro-algae pulls out phosphates. Maybe you should test your water going in?

Last edited:
Macro algae helps alot. Cheato is very popular. I have heard that mangroves are the best but never grown any of them. Weekly water changes using RO water for your saltmix and RO water for your top off will also help with phosphate removal.

I quit bothering with the phosphate tests as they never seem to be the same and don't seem to be accurate. I rely more on what the tank is telling me when it comes to algae growth. I've got serious hair algae issues atm and don't need to test to know I got phosphates.

Back