Phosphates

Barch

Reefing newb
I started measuring PO 4 in my tank about 2 weeks ago. I am using the BRS Dual reactor for phosphate and carbon. My phosphate measurements have been pretty erratic from 0 to .02 and then to 0 followed by .04, .02 and 0 again. I just wondering what everyone else's experience is . I'm using a Hanna checker so I think it's pretty accurate and I do the test the same way every time....any thoughts?

phosphate levels will vary. Keep'em < 0.03 ppm

0.1 ppm is when they will start seriously damaging corals

Also fluctuating chem levels usually means you need a water change.

Last edited:
the last water change was 10 days ago. I have been slowly spreading out the water changes to every 2 weeks. All the other parameters have been really consistent and there have been no water changes during the testing. I was surprised to see both + and - results during the time period....does this make sense?

What are you feeding the tank, some foods are known to have phosphates in them... like pellets and flakes. Also, are you using ro/di water?

yup only ro/di from the beginning and I'm feeding mysis shrimp only 1 time per day to 5 fish, 2 shrimp and about 15 crabs.

Well, sounds like you're doing the right thing there... it is possible that your rocks or sand could be leaching phosphates. You can try running some gfo.

Back