Picasso clowns

lilduud

Reefing newb
I'm assuming and hoping that Picasso clowns are like other clowns and are born with no black on them. There's a very young pair for sale but the have no black lining on they're fins or stripes. Will these develop or is there a chance they'll stay just orange and white?

awesome...thats why i want my picasso pair is to raise the fry :D

that pretty much confirmed it then... they turn black.

OF COURSE!!!! assuming i can keep them alive for more than a day haha.
anyone whos bred clownfish... what type of equipment can i run on the fry tank? a very small hob filter matured from the main tank? i dont wanna suck emup or blown them away and i also dont want live rock if i dont have to use it. anyone who helps gets a free picasso clown! :D

OF COURSE!!!! assuming i can keep them alive for more than a day haha.
anyone whos bred clownfish... what type of equipment can i run on the fry tank? a very small hob filter matured from the main tank? i dont wanna suck emup or blown them away and i also dont want live rock if i dont have to use it. anyone who helps gets a free picasso clown! :D

That's a great site BL1 linked I read that one first too.

Another great site is Marine Ornamental Fish & Invert Breeders Association • View forum - Breeding Forums pretty much the professionals of saltwater breeding.

from what I have read you need diff stage tanks for the diff stages of their growth. First one being a black out tank with no filtration/pumps/powerheads at all. Then you progress upward, clay pots are common for both the mated pair's place to lay eggs and a hiding obstacle for the fry. Not sure when you can start to add filtration to the tank/ how old they need to be...

Yes, for "newborn fry" you need to use just an airstone for circulation -- no pumps, filters or powerheads.

Ok cool that's what I'm finding as I read. But do they intend for the fry to be put into freshly mixed saltwater? Or would you have a tank tht was completely empty and fill it with mature tank water and an airsone/ heater and add the fry to that. For freshly hatched fry and very early stages

I believe they need to be put into a tank with rotifers in the water, since this is what they feed on when they are young.

i know but im saying what water should i use to fill the original holding tank for the fry? freshly mixed saltwater or matured water from a different tank.

Back