Picked Up Some New Corals!!

phastroh

Do Not Listen To Me!!!
Just picked these up. Here are some notes.

First off the colors are far better in the tank then my pix. I know they look washed out due to the tank lighting which is kind of weird but trust me all of them have vibrant colors for now.

1) The Zoas are some Blue somethings. He said they do not come around often and go quick.
2) The Acans are White, Purple and Green and look awesome in person.
3) The Acros are both very colorful. The small one is blueish and the large one is green and purple.

The coral spent about 2 hours out of the light so maybe they is why the colors are not as nice in the pix but in the tank under my Phoenix 14k's they look awesome.

I also go another coral that looks similar to a Duncan but is not at all. It has a shape that is not really a shape of any name and he said can be hosted. It is greenish like a mushroom but it was closed at the time of the pix.

Coral-2 by Phastroh1, on Flickr

Coral-3 by Phastroh1, on Flickr

Coral-4 by Phastroh1, on Flickr

Coral-1 by Phastroh1, on Flickr

Coral-5 by Phastroh1, on Flickr

Coral-6 by Phastroh1, on Flickr

Yeah I'll take a pic tonight. It is probably something silly. I just sometimes forget what they tell me and have to find out. I didn't recognize the name though but just asked about the care and stuff.

Great stuff! I know, the tank lights really wash out my pics too. But I want to buy more coral, not a camera! LOL
Is the unidentified coral a pagoda?

I was looking at the Duncans and they are close to the same but that is not the name he told me. Hmm I may call them right now and ask since they had some. BRB

OK I got the name and yes it was very simple and being that I have almost 40 corals you would think I would know it or seen them.

It is from Australia and it is called an Ozzy Elegance Coral which I am sure billions of you have or had before.

Last edited:
I forgot what it is also. haha I know all my other corals in my tank now except that one. Oh I forgot the name of the Green and Orange one as well but he said it will grow quickly.

I have been making some permanent and others after they sit I move them where I would like them and if they grow I will glue them. Not a big fan of gluing but some are a must.

The green and orange coral is a meteor shower cyphastrea. It'll encrust and is always a people pleaser.

Not to jinx you but Elegance corals are really hard to keep. I had one for about 6 mints and then it just pooped out. There are 2 species: ones from Indonesia and the other from Australia. The ones from Australia are the hardier species.

It is from Australia. Thankfully my tank has only had one coral pass away and it was an Acro that was large. Had a large plate die but only after I realized it was being stung every night by my Favia you see there in the photo.

I came out one night and turned on my Mini LED Flashlight and I saw it's looooooong tentacles hitting it where the flesh was missing from. I moved it away but it just slowly died leaving like 2 spots of flesh.

I may trade that Favia one day but it is constantly splitting and splitting eyes or polyps or whatever they are called. I have a few spots that turn into 3 or 4 every so often. I have a Lava Chalice that was growing so fast but I had to move it to the bottom for a while and it has all but stopped. I plan to move it back.

Most corals grow like weeds in here and so far so good so wish me luck.

Last edited:
The Zoas appear to be Blue Hornets. The first pic looks like a Pink Stylophora to me. And of course, the Elegance and the Meteor Shower were already identified.

The Zoas appear to be Blue Hornets. The first pic looks like a Pink Stylophora to me. And of course, the Elegance and the Meteor Shower were already identified.

Yeah that sound familiar but I thought he called it purple but maybe not. Darn I love u guys. Thanks. One day my tank will be complete.......

NICE!!

Not trying to be nosy,but do blue zoas usually run out your way?

That isn't being nosy.

About your question. I have no idea. I do not see them much and the guy is the one who said it to me.

My buddy who owns a store had them before and it was a big deal on Facebook and they were gone in seconds even though he promised me a frag for the boxes and bags I give him all the time. I never got one. :grumble:

Back