Picky Gold Striped Maroon

bg3489

Reefing newb
I got a gold striped maroon from my lfs last tuesday (feb 27th) and he is currently in my QT. He only really stays on the top which is sort of odd and has not taken to eating anything yet. I have been trying formula two flakes but he simply won't eat them. Just today he grabbed one but spit it out right after. I also tried mysis once and he did not go for that either. What else can I try to get him to eat and is there a reason he always hangs out on the top even though he's getting knocked around by the flow? Any advice would be appreciated!

Buy some garlic extract (Kent Marine makes a good one) and try adding some of that to the food and to the water. What is the temperature of the QT tank? Do you have enough circulation? Low oxygen levels will make fish hang out at the top.

It wouldnt be a bad idea to add a power head pointed at the surface.You have to remember that the warmer your water temp. the less oxygen it can hold.

I agree with Yote. Try and get the water and air mixing better at the surface. If you have a lid, remove it and replace it with eggcrate.

I had a Perc that did that years ago.It would stay near one corner and near the top.It would not eat and it had a listlessness(did I spell that right?).I learn later on it was a disease/illness and it didn't survive.Oh and by the way oxygen was fine.,so if its not lack of oxygen I would look into the ladder.

Back