pics of my coral and fish (just starting 1st saltwater tank)

karisfish

Reefing newb
Ok so my tank has been set up for a little over month now J I started with live rock and live sand. I also added live bacteria. I track my water conditions everyday and its been great! I just started to add coral and a few fish. I have 2 clown fish, clown blenny, and a golden headed goby, skunk shrimp, and a peppermint shrimp. That’s all for the fish because I know to add slow I’m planning on getting some kind of small angel in like 3 weeks or so. For corals I have hammer coral, xenia 2 different kinds, green button polyps colony, coco worm (I was told they were easy to take care of now I am hearing different so I am a little nervous about it) Duncan coral (just got it, it has not opened up yet so I moved it a few tentacles are coming out. Does anyone know how long it takes them to open?)I forgot the name of the other coral it almost looks like palm palms. Green star polyps, And a green harry mushroom (has not attached yet.. does anyone know any tricks to get it to attach or how long it takes?) here are some pics.. I will move some of the coral but please tell me if you have tips on where it should be located.

Attachments

• IMG_0895.jpg
    IMG_0895.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 510
  • IMG_0901.jpg
    IMG_0901.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 363
  • IMG_0911.jpg
    IMG_0911.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 432
  • IMG_0916.jpg
    IMG_0916.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 542
  • IMG_0912.jpg
    IMG_0912.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 336
  • IMG_0920.jpg
    IMG_0920.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 330
  • IMG_0921.jpg
    IMG_0921.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 892
  • IMG_0897.jpg
    IMG_0897.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 344
  • IMG_0905.jpg
    IMG_0905.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 829
Last edited:
whoa! Slow down partner!

You should be adding fish every 3 weeks!!! And if this is the 28 cube, then you are at your stocking limit!

Also the duncans should open up pretty quickly if they like where they are living. But it sounds like you moved them to a spot they like better.

Other than stocking much too fast, i think your tank looks good.

I thought i was adding fast as well but the 2 LFS said that i have to add my clowns together I waited about 1 1/2 weeks to add the goby and golden headed goby and they said the coral did not count so I can add all of that at once (which i got about 1/2 of them and then 1 1/2 weeks later i got the rest.

Corals don't count?
You need a pretty stable and somewhat established tank for them to survive long term. Zoas and Xenia are easy, but once you start putting in LPS you need to be testing (and probably dosing) for alkalinity, calcium and magnesium, as well as all your other parameters.

Freakin LFS's... just sending people home with all this stuff. :grumble:

And what kind of lighting do you have?

As far as the mushroom... you can just let him be until he attaches to some rock rubble and then glue that rock rubble where you want it. Or tie him to a rock with some netting or something until he attaches.

The lfs was right about adding the clowns together, but you need to wait at least 3 weeks between fish to let the bioload catch up.

Also remember, your lfs will make money when your fish and corals die and you go back to buy more. But we will make no money off of you, so you can trust our advice.

Corals don't count?
You need a pretty stable and somewhat established tank for them to survive long term. Zoas and Xenia are easy, but once you start putting in LPS you need to be testing (and probably dosing) for alkalinity, calcium and magnesium, as well as all your other parameters.

Freakin LFS's... just sending people home with all this stuff. :grumble:

And what kind of lighting do you have?

As far as the mushroom... you can just let him be until he attaches to some rock rubble and then glue that rock rubble where you want it. Or tie him to a rock with some netting or something until he attaches.

My lighting is:

~105 watts of high intensity daylight light output with 10K/7100K combo compact fluorescent (power compact) lamp. so its 3.75 watts of light per gallon

~ 4 LED night view lights

Is that good lighting for what I have?

The lfs was right about adding the clowns together, but you need to wait at least 3 weeks between fish to let the bioload catch up.

Also remember, your lfs will make money when your fish and corals die and you go back to buy more. But we will make no money off of you, so you can trust our advice.

That's true. I am nervous now. I will test and dose everyday if i have to. I just hope they survive I will be upset if they all die.

Damn, you just got little_fish'ed hard! Haha kidding. As long as your tank parameters are good then you're doing good so far. Going by the same responses, you're at the stocking limit and I wouldn't add anymore fish wise. 4 fish in there is pushing it a little bit. Just make sure to keep a keen eye and make sure that everything does okay.

If you have further questions, don't hesitate to ask.

That's true. I am nervous now. I will test and dose everyday if i have to. I just hope they survive I will be upset if they all die.

Don't go crazy...slow down...Testing is ok. And D2 is right about dosing as well...BUT..your tank is very new...don't go dosing stuff into it because you think it's going to help...It could spell certain disaster. Just keep testing, and be patient with it. You've gotta let the bacteria catch up to the bioload.

You're essentially trying to feed a newborn baby a steak...You've gotta give it time. If you start dosing things, it can add to the bio-load.

Just keep an eye on it, and do frequent water changes if needed.

My lighting is:

~105 watts of high intensity daylight light output with 10K/7100K combo compact fluorescent (power compact) lamp. so its 3.75 watts of light per gallon

~ 4 LED night view lights

Is that good lighting for what I have?

Plenty of light for the LPS and soft corals that you have.Looks great,btw!

Corals take in carbon dioxide and water and their by products are lipids, sugar and oxygen. Fish and other invertebrates add to more of the waste than coral, so I would be careful in adding more fish or invertebrates in a short span of time.

Mark

Hardest part of this hobby is staying patient. It is a struggle everyday for me. Just try and listen to the people here and things will go great.

You tank looks great good work!

You're essentially trying to feed a newborn baby a steak....

LOL! TOUCHE! They're right though man, im at my 3 week mark and still no fish in my new setup.. trust me, its killing me too. But it will be well worth the wait once its all setup and done with.

Back