Picture of the Month - April

2.jpg2.JPG

Great picture putter. I am still licking my wounds from my devastating loss. I need some time <sniff> to heal <sniff> before <sniff> posing anything. My self esteem is simply <sniff> gone. Where is my hankie :sniffles:

-Doc

Nice picture RC, you may have overexposed it though. Still, great looking coral.

I say that the pics have to be from our own tanks. that is the part about it being so important. It is not a photo-skill contest, but rather a reflection of the hard work we have put into our tanks. Lionfish deserved to win this month because he has put in SO MUCH work in his tank. It makes it so much more valuable for the forum when it is our tanks. Any douche bag can take a picture of something someone else did, but that does not reflect the hard work and sacrifice we put into our tanks, which is the draw to this forum and the hobby. Just my :twocents:

(kinda passionate about this topic though)

-Doc

Nice picture RC, you may have overexposed it though. Still, great looking coral.
-Doc

Thanks for the compliments Doc.

I agree it might be a little overexposed. I just found the macro setting on my digital video camera. I've been using the video camera because it takes better pics than my pocket digital. Spent a couple months futzing with the pocket camera, but it just got grainy as you zoomed in or used the macro settings.

I discovered the hard disk video camera will take better pics than the other camera and I've just been experimenting with it. I took those pics on Macro setting with a shutter speed of 1/30sec. No flash. Automatic setting.

I'm going to start playing with the settings on this camera and see if I can improve the pics.

I say that the pics have to be from our own tanks. that is the part about it being so important. It is not a photo-skill contest, but rather a reflection of the hard work we have put into our tanks. Lionfish deserved to win this month because he has put in SO MUCH work in his tank. It makes it so much more valuable for the forum when it is our tanks. Any douche bag can take a picture of something someone else did, but that does not reflect the hard work and sacrifice we put into our tanks, which is the draw to this forum and the hobby. Just my :twocents:

-Doc

Agree whole-heartedly I asked about a LFS photo and people said to enter it, but my conscience wouldnt allow it. It will be more special for me to enter a shitty shot of my own tank than a perfect shot of someone elses.

Agree whole-heartedly I asked about a LFS photo and people said to enter it, but my conscience wouldnt allow it. It will be more special for me to enter a shitty shot of my own tank than a perfect shot of someone elses.

i thought about going and taking a pic of my father-in-laws tank but just could not do it. i would be taking the credit for all his hard work

Real bad. I'm giving up on it ever going away.

Piggy how long have you been fighting the red algae? Have you increased your water changes? from once per week to twice per week (for a few weeks until it goes away). That was the main way i got rid of mine.

fish fan - no, douche bag is a general term. I understand your question, but I believe the POTM needs to be about our own tanks. Seems like others agree. I meant no particular disrespect toward you. I am rather fond of most of your posts.

-Doc

ok just checkin. i was reading that when i just woke up so i was grumpy and was feeling attacked but now i see where everyone is coming from so its all good

-Doc

I agree 100%. I think the photography part is a minor part. To me, most important is the effort that has been put in the tank. Hence me saying, all the pros gotta do is choose any spot of their tank and they have a chance at winning. Yes there is the art of the actual photography, but this should be more about the art of reef keeping.

I would agree as well, the pics must come from our own tanks, it is a direct reflection of the work we put into our own tanks, not a contest to see who can find the best picture on the web and upload it here to win.

LOL fish fan, nothing to do with what you said, just wanted to stick my 2 cents in on what would be acceptable to the contest is all. In fact this is probably a good subject to clarify things.

In one day,I had to back click three pages to catch the pics.Nice pic Ray and Rc and whoever else I missed.

I agree with Doc,no pics of public aquariums for reasons everybody else already mentioned.We had FTS,fish pics and even a shrimp on the front page so I thought I would enter a coral pic.

Clavularia but which one?Macro shot or the other one with the Cladella(colt).

2108212.jpg

edited out

Which one should I enter?

Last edited:
Back