Piggy's 120 Tank Thread

Won't be getting wet this weekend. One of my trash cans sprung a leak in the night and I woke up to lots and lots of saltwater all over the basement floor. So now I need to make 25 more gallons of water tomarrow after I get back from PA. Sunday is Nascar race and football. So the earliest will be Monday.

Sorry to hear about that piggy. But rember thats why the wonderfull TV people made commercials so we can get things done in that time and not miss anything.

I need HELP ASAP. I got my tank filled with my water and rock. When I plugged in the pump the water goes like it suppose. But one of my overflowes is making all kind of water noises and the water keep lowering then rising. The other side seems to be working right. How do I adjust it?

Sounds like its got air trapped in it.
You may have to drill a small hole in the top of the stand pipe to let the air out.

Are both drain lines tee'd together before they go into your sump?
If they are,you might try seperating them and having 2 drops instead of one.

the one making all the noise is probaly under a hard siphon, versus gravity doing the work. the noise is the siphon breaking, and that causes the water level to rise. then, it gets the hard siphon going again and the water level drops until it is low enough to break siphon. then the process starts all over again. hope I explained it well enough to make sense. if seperating the two sides doesn't help any. you may have to enlarge the little hole in the top of the durso. the little hole is what keeps it from forming the hard siphon.

Here is what I did so far. Made the hole bigger. It did help, a lot better. Should I make it a little bit bigger? Will it hurt? Do you need tubing in the hole? Also made two return lines comming into the sump. Now it sound like a waterfall. How can I quiet the water down. It took alot longer to move then what I expected. I'm exhausted.

Run the drain line down far enough that its under the surface of your sump water.That should stop most of the noise.

Here are some ways to quiet the noise.

1)Put the drains pipes underwater of the sump.

2)Put a filter sock on the end,it will deaden the noise entering the sump.

3)Its always better to keep the water flowing to the sump with the least amount of bends.Even horizontal pipes interferes with the gravity.

4)If the overflows are gurggling,then restrict the return pump(you do have a ball valve on it,right).Slowing the return will also slow the drain to the sump.I've notice that too fast or too slow causes the most noise.You will have to find the sweet spot on your tank.

Thanks guys I really apprciate all your help. I'll work on it tomarrow. One other thing. I have lots of small bubbles comming out of the two wave thingys that are on top of the overflows. How do I get rid of them? When should I test the water?

Oh yah I almost forgot don't rely on the ground probe or GFUI plugs. When I was getting my QT tank ready to put my fish in somehow I dripped water on the light (I didn't realize it at the time) and when I went to pick it up I got a shock. It was the wierdest thing I could feel it going up my arm but I couldn't let go of the light. I yelled and had my daughter hit the GFUI button and I droped it. Today my fingers still feel weird. The only thing they can figure is that it wasn't a great enough flow to register. So now I'm real cautious.

Wow,that was shocking!(sorry bad joke).
I'm glad your alright.

The skimmer isn't causing the micro bubbles is it?Usually it gets better on its own.Make sure the part of return pump that sucks in water isn't restricted in any way.I would start testing a couple days after live rock is added

So there is no micro bubbles entering the return section.All I can think of is to make sure the pump is completely underwater and that the inlet side is not whirl pooling air downwards from the water surface.Maybe you can put a sponge filter on the inlet of the pump.

I'll mess with it again tomarrow. Been a very long few days. My tank looks so bare. I need to get more live rock,corals,and fish. I'll think about that once I get all he bugs worked out. So far my two clowns seems to be doing real good in their new home. Thanks for the info.

Be extra careful using the plug Piggy.
Sounds like you may have a bad GFI.I know mine will trip when ever water gets where it shouldnt be.
110VAC can be bad news.It'll grab you and not let go.

Back