Pigmy Angelfish

WWS

Reefing newb
I wanted to know what types of food to feed this fish. I does not seem to like flake food, Frozen shrimp, or small pellet food. What should I try? Thanks.

Sometimes you'll have to try a bunch of different foods before they'll take to something. That's why I have like 20 different types of frozen food in my freezer :( Frozen foods are the best, so I would say to just keep trying a variety of those.

There is a frozen cube food specifically for angle fish. I dont use it as I do not have any angles. I do not know the name of the manufacturer either, but, do recall seeing it in the lfs freezer. Try checking out Ocean Nutrition, and any other fish food dealers. good luck. keep us posted.

its san francisco bay brand angel and butterfly food
p_15543_FS22524D.jpg

It has sponge mixed in with it and that is one of the main diets of angels especially when they are growing up. I always have it in my freezer..... of course if you were up to date on my buld thread you would know why. 2 large angelfish and im so happy :)

anyways stay away from flake and pellet food. it can cause way too many nitrate probs. give this stuff a try!

Wow, Alexander. Good to see you back posting so much. And even tagging your posts with helpful, informative pictures! Going all out, I see :).

Yep, that's probably the best/most specific food out there for angels.

you know how i am.... i have my waves.... and i hate it. i really do. i still think about it. i just dont do it for some reason. but for the most part im totally active. i think this time its all the moving i have done that did it to me. i have been so busy. i missed my hangout

WWS:

I get the impression that your angelfish is new? Has it only been a couple days? It may still be a little stressed out. It's not unheard of for new additions to not eat anything - even for a few days.

I was told by my LFS that mine was eating frozen Mysis for the several months it was at the store (not sure why it was there so long. It was a great price and has been a great fish). Anyway I thought it would be a snap. I took the fish home with a package of the same brand Mysis it was eating at the store.

Got it home and it wouldn't touch the stuff! It wouldn't eat anything for the first two days. It finally ate flake food. After several times trying (a couple days apart) it finally ate the Mysis. I introduced dried Nori. Wouldn't touch it. Again after several times trying it finally ate it.

Now my Angel is a very aggressive feeder eating just about anything that falls in the tank - flakes, nori, brine, plankton, mysis, chopped shrimp.........

I would do what everyone else suggested. Gather a variety of foods together and keep trying. If the fish is new it may suddenly start eating after it settles in. It may take a few days.

Is there any thing else in the tank stressing or picking on the angel? If not it should be ok.

what kind of pygmy angelfish is it? what are its tankmates? they usually feed during the first week. if not, try some Entice, which is banana extract to encourage a feeding response. Good luck.

BTW, way to go with the food pic Alexander. Glad it is working for you. You may have the best looking angel in your tank, but I have four in mine, going to add the 5th today. Yeah! oh, yeah, hijack, huh? eh, sue me

-Doc

Back