Pineapple (scypha) sponge?

chiqui bb

Reefing newb
I've recently seen a few of these in my tank. Some are attached to the rocks, some are attached to plants. And they move around! I find them in different spots.

What I'm curious about is how they feed. I've been watching one of them with my magnifying glass and it seems that it has a long string that comes out of the top and waves around in the current. If I watch closely, it appears to suck the string back in and extend it out again but it takes such a long time for this to occur and I'm really squinting to see it. Looks like a single string from a spider web. Anyone else seen this before or is it just something floating in the water column?

What you are describing is not a sponge.

Sounds more like a vermetid snail.They are a snail that lives in a tube.They throw out a sticky fishing line,catches food and reels it back in.Call the couch potato of snails.Reef safe but sometimes reef annoying.Ths strands of cobweb can keep some small corals from fully opening.

Last edited:
Thanks reeffreak. You're right. I do have some pineapple sponges but they are a little larger and look fuzzy. The little "fisherman" is smaller and not fuzzy. I just assumed they were the same creature!

Back