pink/blue spotted watchmen goby

michelle

Reefing newb
My LFS has one that he has had for a couple of months now. It's not overly attractive as far as marine fish go, and it is always in a piece of PVC pipe. I cannot explain why, but, I am drawn to the silly thing. I think I may get it. Do any of you have one or have personal experience with them?
I know it is a shrimp goby, what shrimp would it possibly pair with? If I get a shrimp later (it is not currently paired with one) is there a chance (understanding that you can never really predict behavior for sure) it will pair with it?
My bicolor blenny died yesterday, so I was thinking of getting this guy as a replacement. The poor guy (blenny) swam into my carpet anemone and never recovered from the sting. I have since traded the nem to the fish store.

Thanks all

Those watchman gobies are cool.
The only shrimp they'll pair with are the pistol shrimps.Which are equally cool,but can get annoying with there clicking.

I truly appreciate the response yote. I love the fact that you always offer advice on my threads. Can you elaborate on "cool"? (not meant to sound snarky- I really do appreciate it:))

Those are pretty damn cool. I have a sand sifting goby. The watchmen goby is a very cool looking fish though. Although my goby make a damn mess sometimes cleaning. He gets a little to carried away sometime. It's like a dust storm once and a while. Crazy guy.

I truly appreciate the response yote. I love the fact that you always offer advice on my threads. Can you elaborate on "cool"? (not meant to sound snarky- I really do appreciate it:))

They got a lot of personality,and are a blast to watch.They like to dig,and will sit by their borrow and watch every move you make.

Is it a watchmen goby or a shrimp goby?It can't be both.

Some watchmen sift the sand while others don't.None that I know of pair up with pistol shrimps.

Is it a watchmen goby or a shrimp goby?It can't be both.

Some watchmen sift the sand while others don't.None that I know of pair up with pistol shrimps.

Oh, well I guess its a shrimp goby. ...hmm, maybe I should check again. Thanks for the heads up

My watchman goby (I was told he was a yellow watchman, but his coloring and markings seem to be a bit off...) paired with our serpent star. Strange but true. They sit in a cove all day, the serpent star on bottom, watchman on top.

Our previous watchman (sadly he was killed by our coral banded shrimp) hung out with him too.

I am too lazy to add the pics, so here is the baby yellow watchman:
http://www.ourfishies.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=66

The adult one we have now (if someone can verify that it is a yellow watchman that would be awesome):
http://www.ourfishies.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=449

The pink spotted is supposed to be just like the yellow watchman gobies. You should get it! I absolutely love them.

I just found mine. He discovered a cave that I think he can exist in without EVER having to come out...So, I will NEVER see him:(

...They tend to do that. He should get more active over time. Gobies are very shy and it could take him several months to adjust to his new home.

This may make you feel better. I have a pair of green mandarins in my tank. I see one of them MAYBE every four or five months. I have never seen the two of them within the same month though. Such a shame for such pretty fish.

That is the exact fish that we have! Funny, I was confused because the yellow watchman that we had was VERY yellow.

This one hid for about two weeks after we got him. He now happily lives in a cove with the serpent star and a fire shrimp. He tends to hide a lot. It took him awhile to get used to us. He is a bit more shy than the rest of the fish.

so yours hid for a while but came out once he was more comfortable? Thats good to know, I would love to get to see mine occasionally. Thanks!!

Thanks! Everyone wanted to see our fish - so I started the website for fun. It started as a blog, I ended up adding the photo gallery, and then the wiki to keep saltwater fish notes (as we all do a ton of research on these critters!) A few of our friends have joined the saltwater addiction! One went nano, and now they just started a 125 gallon.

My Goby ~"UGLY"

100_3395.jpg

Back