Pink spotted goby and pistol shrimp

clancaster23

Reefing newb
Well I feel bad. I think I just sent two different pistol shrimp to their deaths. I have a pink spotted goby and he has been in the tank for about a month. Yesterday I decided to get a pistol shrimp to see if they would form that bond we all see happen. This one, I'm not sure what really happened to it. I did the acclimation and put him in the tank. At this time, the goby was on the other side of the tank. I released him into the tank and right away one of my tomato clowns starts pecking at it and you could hear the pistol snapping at it. I had to go into the other room then and when I came back, no shrimp to be seen. I didn't even see him laying around anywhere dead or anything. So as far as I know, one pistol shrimp gone. Today, I pick up another since they were on sale and I couldn't pass it up. I bring it home and get it ready to put in the tank. This time, I put him right near the goby. I drop him in and the shrimp immediately backs into a hole under a rock. I guess the goby didn't like this much cause he went in there and just sucked the shrimp right up, shrimp hind end in first, jostles him around in his mouth for a second and spits him out. Second shrimp dead. I feel really bad that this happened. Did I do something wrong or is my goby just a plain (insert curse here)?? Needless to say, this pistol became lunch. My cleaner got to it first and last time I looked (lights are off now), one of my large hermits had it. I don't think I'm going to get another but did I do something wrong?

You might now have two pistols in your tank!!! I RARLEY EVER see mine. Mine started going under the LR as soon as i put him in and now i only here the snapping at night and never see him. Dont be surprized when u hear a crap load of popping going on.

Well the one I got tonight is definitely dead so at the most, there is only one. Not even sure that one is still alive in there. Haven't seen it but I know they hide most of the time so who knows.

Back