Pink vs. Purple Coralline algae

I see many pictures of tanks with really nice purple coralline. But mine has always been pink. Anyone have any ideas why this is? And what I can do to get the darker purple kind?

My understanding is there are many colors of Coraline. As far as I know it can depend on your live rock and regions it came from.

Just from thing ive

some of it as far as i know alot of the colors depend on the amount of light you have. when i had alot of light on my old tank i had alot of orange color but if you looked at a rock that the bright light did not hit it was a deep purple.

I was wondering if I bought a mushroom rock I saw on DiversDen with the purple stuff I like if it would spread or maybe it would just turn pink if my lights/chemistry are different.

i would almost bet you money that if you grabbed a rock in your tank and flipped it over it would have purple coraline on it. but that is one way to bring in different divirsety into your tank

I don't have any green but I wish I had some. I guess we always want what we don't have ;)

I can't remember who has really really purple rocks on this forum, but I thought it looked like he had stronger lights than I have. I thought maybe someone would say it depends on how high alk, or how much magnesium, or something like that.

Mine look like Sen's. I can't remember who that was who had so much bright purple coralline. The picture he used under his name had him and his girlfriend, cute couple, and I remember him saying he got an urchin but had to put it in the sump because his girlfriend liked the purple rocks and didn't want them to turn white. Biff, can you remember who it was? Someone even asked him if he used purple up and he said he didn't (heard that doesn't work anyway). but it was this really bright deep purple covering every single rock.

My rocks are redonkulously purple. I have the led lights that people poo poo so I don't think they are that strong and I def don't dose for anything. On the flip side, I don't like the purple rocks myself. See, we do always want what we don't have.

I have purple and pink in my tank and green growing on my sump walls. Not sure why the green isn't in the DT other than the differing light conditions. My Purple stuff is what I call Flowering Coraline. I'm sure there is another name for it, but in several places it is in a tight, raised spiral that looks like a flower.

I think cyano is supposed to be slimy right? This looks like the other coralline, only red. I tried brushing some off and it seems pretty stuck on there. Ugh, I hope its not cyano :(

Peyssonnelia sp maybe?

Been looking around on the net for it since i also have algae like that. It will come of if i REALLY scrub it, but its not hard like coraline, yet not slimey like cyano. A bit in between. Isnt much info out there about it though.

Has it spread over all your rocks, or just on some? Mine seems to be growing where there is less light, not completely underneath the rocks but just under. I have not tried to scrub it as hard as I can, just a little and it didnt feel slimy. But it does look a little less hard than coralline. So maybe I have the same type you do. Mine is more obvious with daylight only, then when the lights come on i think the actinic helps it look more like darker purplish coralline. Not driving me crazy yet.

Back