Pistol Shrimp at Different Time Than Goby?

Sir Alex

Dragon the eel (below)
So I was wondering if to get the two paired up they would have to be added at the same time. If I get a pistol shrimp then get the goby a decent bit later, would they still pair up? In the ocean they're obviously not added at the same time...

I would think that if you added the shrimp in the vicinity of where the goby hangs out they could potentially pair.

Keep in mind that just becasue you decide to add a goby and a pistol shrimp, they many not neccesarily pair- its not a for sure thing in an aquarium setting

Not neccesarily, its like the whole clown / anemone thing - you never really know what a pair of clowns will decide to host. It could be that shiny anemone you went out and bought, or it could be a powerhead, a heater, and overflow or basically anything else in your tank

If you really want a pair, places like LiveAquaria sells paired shrimp / gobies in thier Diver's Den section, and a good LFS should also be able to source you a pair -but it both cases it will cost more

+1 Northstar I added mine at diff times, and diff spots in my tank. Not to sure they are a pair. Almost think they dont like eachother but i could be wrong. The watchman hangs out around the pistols rock but ive never seen them "work" together. I think its a hit or miss either way.

I'll just get the two at the same time and hope for the best... :grumble:

Thats prolly your best bet. Fish stores seem to put over rated prices on a "pair" rather than buying them seprate....i got mine for 25 pistol and 15 for the watchman whereas the LFS in Milwaukee wanted like 80 for a "pair"

I paid $15 for a Tangaroa Goby and $7.99 for a pistol shrimp in Milwaukee, you're just shopping at the wrong place Dana ;)

The shrimp dove into the rocks and I havent seen it since, the tangaroa is a small little sucker, and I just did a serious re-scape to make cleaning the side panes eaiser and I think it was squished by a rock - either that or he's decided to start hanging out sompleace where its hard to spot him. (he blends in with the sand so well its crazy)

I had a bad experience with pairing these two. I bought one pistol shrimp after I had my pink-spotted goby. I put the first shrimp in and it soon disappeared like 2 minutes after and I never saw or heard from it again. Couple days later I got another one and put it in right near the goby. The shrimp made for a hole under a rock and the goby sucked him out killing the shrimp then just spit him out for the crabs to eat. No more pistols for me, at least not with this goby.

I had a bad experience with pairing these two. I bought one pistol shrimp after I had my pink-spotted goby. I put the first shrimp in and it soon disappeared like 2 minutes after and I never saw or heard from it again. Couple days later I got another one and put it in right near the goby. The shrimp made for a hole under a rock and the goby sucked him out killing the shrimp then just spit him out for the crabs to eat. No more pistols for me, at least not with this goby.

Omg, your goby was killing the shrimp???

I don't really mind not having the pair, but if it does work it will be really cool.

Well, the first time, I don't really know what happened to it. I put him in, he snapped a couple times at a fish then I had to leave the room. Came back and he's nowhere to be found. Not seen or heard from since. I actually even lifted all the rocks when I was rearranging them and never saw it. The second one, I stood there and watched in shock as the goby sucked him up from behind, chomped on him a couple times, spit him out and that was it. Crabs eventually took care of the rest. Like I said, not wasting any more money on pistol shrimp!

Back