Pistol Shrimp in a New Tank?

Samhain

Satin, Lace, and Sequins
Ok, my tank's started. I have a couple fish (royal gramma and 6 line wrasse), a duncan coral, and a bevy of snails and hermits. My next fish is going to be a Flaming Prawn Goby, which I would like to have bond with a pistol shrimp if possible. I know the best chance of them bonding is if I add them together (unless I get a pair already bonded, but that's highly unlikely), but I've read that you shouldn't really add shrimp until the tank is approaching 6 months old. So should I just wait on both of them? Should I go ahead and get the goby (in about 3-4 weeks), and just wait on the shrimp? Or is it safe to add the shrimp at 3 months if all the levels look fine and stable?

If I wait on the both of them, I'll probably just add corals in the mean time (and maybe a pom pom crab), and I'm fine with that. I do know that the next fish is going to be the goby, but other than that I'm open to suggestions!

Hooray! :^: I was a little bummed about having to wait 4 months to add another fish, but then again nothing good happens quickly in a reef tank.

i got a free pistol shrimp, and a pom pom crab whit some of the LR we got. Lol but i havint seen my pom pom crab no more. I think the pistol got him. So just watch out...

I introduced my scarlet cleaner shrimp the 3rd week I started my tank. (this may be because I used all fully cured rock). You can add your shrimp now, if your parameters aren't fluctuating.

You can add your shrimp now, if your parameters aren't fluctuating.

pH stays at 8.0. Ammo has been at 0 for a while now, although I keep expecting to see a little bump now that I added fish (and the accompanying fish food and fish poop). Nitrites are at 0, and nitrates are reading 0 now that I added my nitrate gobbling macro algae. Prior to the macro, I was right at 10. I keep my SG between 1.024 and 1.025 depending on how much water has evaporated and whether I just topped off.

I know I need to wait at least another few weeks to let my biofilter catch up with the new bioload. Plus, my pocketbook needs to catch up with the cost of the FPG. BlueZoo has them for $100, plus $20 or so for a pistol shrimp. A little ouchie, but I have my heart set on an FPG. I've been in love ever since I saw a picture of one, and the youtube videos just sealed the deal. And I figure go big (figuratively, of course; the FPG is a tiny little sucker) or go home!

Back