pistol shrimp questions

michelle

Reefing newb
So I just bought this awsome mushroom rock. Lots of folds and places for things to live. Which is exactly what I said as I bought it. I got home and realized that there is a clicking coming from that rock. I had heard it in the car on the way home with it, but, didn't realize what it was.
I called the lfs and he said there was a pistol shrimp in the tank the rock was in who went mysteriously missing a while ago.
I was online researching the shrimp and found this video:
http://www.aquaristsonline.com/blog/livestock/invertebrates/the-pistol-shrimp/
So I am now wondering if my cleaner shimp or anything else in my tank in danger? Apparently it was a small variety of the shrimp that went missing, grows to about an inch. I also have a baby cleaner shrimp that I am due to pick up next week, I am slightly concerned about it. The cleaner is only an inch long yet.
Any personal experiences with keeping these guys?

Before you do anything, I'd isolate the rock and try to see the shrimp. You need to make sure it's really a pistol shrimp and not a mantis shrimp (which also make clicking sounds). If it's a mantis, all your animals (including fish) are in danger. If it's a pistol shrimp, you have little to worry about.

I just can't help but think that the LFS telling you a clicking noise is a pistol shrimp is a good way to cover their asses in case they accidentally sold you a rock with a mantis in it.

ok, I do trust this guy at the store, but, I will take your advice, I would like to see for myself what it is. Thanks biff

So I put it in a rubbermaid container filled with tank water...now what? just wait? I also laid a shrimp pellet on the other side...

Yep, just wait for it to come out. Baiting it with food is a good idea. Try to keep the water habitable (correct temp, a little bit of flow), like a quarantine tank.

Biffs on the right track.Make double sure that it IS a pistol shrimp before you add that rock to your tank.Maybe your LFS is right and it is a pistol,But I wouldnt take that chance.Trust me on this one.

Ok, so i would have liked a better look, but a small red and white flash of something came out and ran back into the rock. It IS supposed to be a candy cane shrimp. (a. randalli)
sound right? Or are there some mantis' with the same coloration?

If you can get a look at the body shape, you should be able to tell what it is pretty easily. Mantis and pistol shrimp look VERY different.

Pistol shrimp look more like a crayfish(crawdad or crawfish).But there are mantis shrimp with the red and white colors.

Back