Pix of my Tank & Fish! Thank you to all of yoU!!

Sxybeemr325

Reefing newb
pictures of my fish tank and my fish... The clowns were posing today meanwhile my tang was playing hide and seek!!!

Thank you to all of you that helped me step by step... So far so good...... it is slowly but surely getting there!!

Fishtank092.jpg

Fishtank089.jpg

Fishtank085.jpg

Fishtank048.jpg

Fishtank046.jpg

Fishtank046.jpg

Fishtank036.jpg

Fishtank018.jpg

Fishtank029.jpg

Nice tank, I like it. I really think that algae or whatever it is growing on the rock is neat looking.

Thanx bobby, I think I found something else growing on my rocks.. there are 3 stems, Looking like a bell with some type of feather at the end... It is almost redish color... not sure of what it is... And the way it is placed in my tank makes it impossible for me to take a pix.... I think i will go to my lsf this week and look for corals.... Any ideas? or suggestions? I want something bright and colorful.... And hardy coral...LOW maintenance!!

Xenia, kenia tree, zoas, or leathers. JMO If you get xenia I would get the pompom coat a bit more but I love mine
ushrooms are also very easy and come in several different colors and shapes. I'll try to get a cam and take pics of my pompom and other coral to show you. There are several more but like ricordia but I just cant think of them at this time. I think you will like the zoas and xenia the best, but thats just my opinoin.

This is my question, Might be the dumbest question ever, but when you buy a coral, how do you attach it to a rock? Does it come with a piece of rock, and you just place this piece of rock(with the coral on it0 wherever in your tank?? And how do you handle it? Cause I know some are poisonous.... how do you acclimate it? just with the dripping method? for how long? How do you know if it s alive or dead? Sorry.... dumb questions... but I don tknow....

Ill take a note of the types you names, and will bring this with me at my lfs. see if I can find any of that.. how do you prononce all these names anyways??/ ill probably make a fool of myself!!!!!!!LMAO!!!!

Sxybeemr325 said:
This is my question, Might be the dumbest question ever, but when you buy a coral, how do you attach it to a rock? Does it come with a piece of rock, and you just place this piece of rock(with the coral on it0 wherever in your tank?? And how do you handle it? Cause I know some are poisonous.... how do you acclimate it? just with the dripping method? for how long? How do you know if it s alive or dead? Sorry.... dumb questions... but I don tknow....

Ill take a note of the types you names, and will bring this with me at my lfs. see if I can find any of that.. how do you prononce all these names anyways??/ ill probably make a fool of myself!!!!!!!LMAO!!!!

Some coral are attached to a piece of rock,if they are not you can buy epoxy to attached them.
When I buy my coral locally I don't use the drip method.,I would let it float in the tank for at least 20 mins. with the lights out then I cut the bag near the top,fold the lip of the bag over and slowly pour my aquarium water into the bag.If the coral can be remove from the water,I lift it out,discard the water in the bag and place them near the bottom for a few days,then move them to the location you like.Sxy you may want to get a book on corals so You would have an idea on how much light a particular coral needs.

Mushroom corals and Leather corals(i.e Toadstools,Finger leathers) are very hardy corals.Xenia,Kenya Trees,Zoos also,but I'm not certain since I never put them in a new tank before.

Xenia, Kenya trees and zoos should be fine in a new tank, as long as your water parameters stay good. I started with one Kenya tree and ended up with over a dozen in a matter of months, so they spread like crazy and are easy to keep.

Thats a great looking setup sxy.
everything that thats listed in the other posts are all good starter corals.You could also do cloves,encrusting star polyps.
Corals are a little more sensitive to changes in water chemistry,so always drip them.I drip mine at least untill 2 hours.
When corals die they melt.
And its always a good idea to wear latex gloves when handleing corals.Ive read several accounts on other forums where people have had some serious reactions to handleing them with cuts on their hands.
Your new find sounds like a feather duster.

Yote, i found tube worms.. I have a bunch... but is a feather duster and a tube work the same?? Cause it dosn t looke anything like it...... I just googled the cloves. That s really pretty. The star pollyp, i like that as well... Biff also mentioned some and Bobby as well... So i should find one of those at my lfs.... When you say latex gloves, do you mean the yellow ones that we use to make the dishes?

Here are some pics of the easier to care for corals.
This is pom pom xenia, if I can figure out how to post a vid you can see how this guy opens and closes.
corals012.jpg

Here is the kenyia tree, this is the best pic I could get. Looks bad.
corals013.jpg

Here is probably the easiest to care for coral, it a pink star polyp.
corals015.jpg

Bobby, what is the one in the middle picture???

I absolutely LOVE the first one the Pom pom Xenia. Does that grow fast?

Thanx for the pix!!

I dont know I just look to see if there expanded and look good. The one in the middle is a kenyia tree they spread across the tank very fast. The xenia are supposed to spread fast to but I hav'nt had it long enough to see it grow. The xenia are my favorite because they move so much by opening and closing. I love to just sit and watch them.

Hum.. Well if they have some xenia, i think I will opt for that as a first coral... you think i can buy 2 xenia at once? Before anything, i should stop yapping and test my calcium cause last time i checked (3 weeks ago), my tank was overdosing on calcium! Gonna go check right now....

Just take a good look at what lighting the lfs is using and compare to yours. if yours is brighter, then you can get some of that plastic light diffuser you see in flourescent light fixtures. over the plastic thing you put some nonmetal screen you can pick up at the hardware store. put a couple layers over the plastic grid and shade the coral. remove one layer of screen every week but only after the coral opens up. take 3 to 4 weeks to acclimate fully. if you use this method you can put the coral in its final location right off. (you may want more than two layers just have to see how much shade a layer provides. also our helpful articles have some information on acclimation of corals. So, here is the catch 22, you should know what conditions are required for the coral you intend to purchase, make sure your system is adeqate for its needs, lights, circulation, water parameters, temperature, feeding. Once you can answer yes to all these questions and you are aware of the level of difficulty in keeping a specific coral, you can then purchase, otherwise, its hit and miss on success. Hope this helps some. Here are a couple small books that are affordable but have a ton of information that you may want to consider getting:
*CORALS by John Tullock - Barron's Books - ISBN 0-7641-1203-1
*CORALS by James W. Fatherree -T.F.H. Publications Inc. - ISBN 0-7938-3456--2
The latter would be my 1st purchase. I really like your aquascape. very nice layout and your system looks great. Very good start. You are doing just fine. Keep us posted. good luck with your system .

Last edited:
Back