PJ Popeye

Bifferwine

I am a girl
Hi,
I have a pajama cardinalfish that has popeye in one eye. I have 12 other fish, none of them exhibiting this. The PJ appears to still be eating fine. I had to move my fish briefly into a QT tank yesterday, and maybe he got injured in the process??

My levels are:
Salinity - 1.022
Ammonia - .25
Nitrite - .25
Nitrate - 10
Temp - 78

My levels are usually all at zero, but I think because of moving all the live rock and stirring up the tank yesterday it may have slightly elevated them (plus my backup canister filter broke yesterday also, I'm ordering a replacement part right now, why is it when one thing goes wrong, ten more seem to follow?). I've got a protein skimmer and power filter still going. I've added some biozyme and cycle to the tank, I expect the levels to go back to normal in the next day or so.

Anyways, back to my PJ... Should I try to catch him and put him back in quarantine and medicate him (and with what)?? Or should I just leave him be and see if it gets better on its own?

Thanks. :grumble:

What is popeye exactly. My clowns right eye just recently swelled up, then bursted and now half her face is gone :( . The other clown is doing fine, so are the rest of my fish. Its very sad to watch. this is her 3rd day with it and more and more of her face is just deteriorating. It's a similar look that I have seen in gangerine patients. Black bacteria just taking over and causing necrosis.

How could you leave your babies when they are sick,What kind of mother are you!!!!!

But anyways,Popeye not contagious....more a condition than a disease.Just like Ick it brought on by stress.Yeah moving PJ might of done it.Sometimes it goes away on its own,sometimes not.You can put in QT and purchase medicine at the LFS.I think they sell more than one type.,Maracyn is one.

Hope your fish gets better B.

Symptom: One or both eyes protrude from the socket. Some fish also exhibit a lack of appetite. Popeye can be caused from bacterial diseases, abscesses and tumors, eye injuries, as well as over - aerated water.If left untreated, the eye may bulge out so far that the eye can pop out of the socket, resulting in the loss of an eye

Treatment: First eleminate the possibility of over-aeration. If you have been using high powered power heads that shoot streams of water into the tank water, your fish may be the victim of nitrogen supersaturation. The tiny air bubbles enter the fish's bloodstream and can accumulate behind the eye, causing it to protrude.

Treatment: The treatment for nitorgen supersaturation , turn the power head water stream adjustment to its lowest setting. Temporarily shut off the air to the power heads, and allow the air pump to be the only source of air. Observe the popeye for a few days . If this was the problem, the eye should begin to recede. If no improvement is noticed or if it worsens, assume the problem is bacterial in nature and treat with Nitrofuran (Furan) or Kanamycin Sulfate. Treat in a hospital tank.

Bacterial Infections.

Symptom: Cloudy eyes, open sores (ulcers) on the body or lateral lines,abscesses, rotting or inflammation (reddening) of the skin, fins or internal organs, bulging eyes or rapid breathing are all symptoms of a bacterial disease.

Treatment: Fish with bacterial diseases should be treated in a separate hospital tank. The best medication is a broad spectrum gram negative antibiotic such as nitrofuran or kanamycin sulfate.It is real important that you give the full recommended treatment as well as for the full treatment period to prevent the disease from reoccurring. If you have a ultraviolet light, it should be left on in the main tank to help control the spread of the disease.

Last edited:
JellyMan said:
Treatment: First eleminate the possibility of over-aeration. If you have been using high powered power heads that shoot streams of water into the tank water, your fish may be the victim of nitrogen supersaturation. The tiny air bubbles enter the fish's bloodstream and can accumulate behind the eye, causing it to protrude.

dangit. This has to be the culprit. Thanks Jelly.

If you use nets to handle your fish, this can also cause popeye, the net can abrade the eye. That's why you should only use a net when necessary.

Back