Placement advice needed

d2mini

Reef enthusiast
I brought home a small cluster of zoas and a small rock with several purple shrooms. Right now I have both at the bottom level of my tank. The shrooms are a bit more out in the open than the zoas. Which one requires more light? I have 6 T5's over my tank.
Thanks!

Just start them on the bottom and work up higher over 2 or 3 weeks.That way you dont stress em with too much light.And a spot with light to moderate flow should do em good.
And where are the pics?

So they should be higher?

I didn't take any pics yet cause they haven't full opened yet. Just brought them home yesterday. :)

Oh ok I think I got it. They are fine where they are but if I want them higher just do it gradually over the course of 2-3 weeks. Thanks!

Oh, and are there any corals (including these) that might do ok if they are in some slight shade? I have lots of nooks and crannies in my rock work. Some areas are lit but not getting direct or full light. Does that make sense? Right now my zoas are tetering on one of those spots. The cluster is like a ball and the back side of the ball is facing shade, but the front side of the ball is getting full light. I guess I can just wait and see how they do. Right now it's the front side that's in full light that's not open all the way yet. Maybe that's cause it's morning and they are pissed someone just turned on the sun full blast. lol

Green star polyps would be ok. Hardy, grow quickly, don't have a huge light demand. Your T5's are plenty for your shrooms and zoas also, they'd be just fine left on the bottom.
PICS!

Green star polyps would be ok. Hardy, grow quickly, don't have a huge light demand.

Is that what these are?
Cause they are doing awesome. I've had some good growth over the past month or so. I'll post an updated pic. These out in the open almost half way up.

417769609_eCWZS-L.jpg

Yeah, that's old... from when i first put the frag in. Got it for 10 bucks.
I just did a water change so I'll post new pics later when the water clears.
But so far this is my favorite coral. Nice growth and nice colors.

Mushrooms will do fine partially shaded. In fact, it will make them expand more. You don't want them in the dark, but if part of them is shaded, they tend to stretch out to absorb more light.

Ok, here's a pic shot today of the green star polyps and another pic of my new shrooms.
The zoas still have some closed polyps so I'll shoot those another day.

440062550_4To3Z-O.jpg

440062591_L2dog-O.jpg

GSP can become a problem with other corals.Since they growth to compete for their space,they can grow fast.
Its just easier to keep it under control on the sand bed.

Start on bottom and work you way up over time. Zoa's will be happy in alot of different spots. I have some directly under my halide that do fine and then some from the same colony on the sand and they do great to. You know they like were they are if they're opened and growing. I have also read that it means they're very happy when the skirt streches out farther and looks like strings that wave a bit in the water.

GSP can become a problem with other corals.Since they growth to compete for their space,they can grow fast.
Its just easier to keep it under control on the sand bed.

ohhhhh..... now you tell me. :grumble: :mrgreen:

Thanks!

Back