Planning a new tank

Don't use a HOB overflow if possible, practice drilling on your broke tank or take it to a glass place and have it professionally done. My HOB's pump gets clogged up every few months then floods the kitchen. Should I mention that I hate my HOB.

P.S. Shipping guys suck! :)

any time you drill a tank you run the risk of cracking the tank. you definitely do not want to drill the bottom as that would be tempered and should not be messed with. i would dril twards the top back if at all. i have used the over flow and i forget where but if you shop for air pumps you will find some to keep the air out of the overflow so siphon dose not break. i agree they are a paine sometimes but it is a doable situation.if you drill the back you can drill down from the top about 4 to 5 inches. install a bulkhead fitting, short piece of pvc, 90 degree ell upward, short piece of pvc and screen water fills up and flows over the top of the drain which is below the tank frame by an inch or so. you can have the inside piece not glued so you can tilt the riser to the side and thereby adjust the water level to your liking. just a thought. personally i would not hesitate to use the overflow but i would get a good one with a decent air pump. that sits ontop with the overflow. hope something here helps. just my thoughts no one elses.

Last edited:
I suppose I should have mentioned that the tank is acrylic if that makes a difference. I have seen the continuous siphon overflows with the air pumps. I'll have to look at them a little harder I guess.

Last edited:
Alright guys, another question. So I've got a bowfront tank and a bowfront stand. Where this presents a problem is that its too narrow on the sides for the width of the refugium I was going to put in there. I was thinking I'd just go ahead and buy a cheap 20 gal tank and add the baffles to make my own sump/refugium. The problem with that is my stand only has 1 door. So even if I make my own I'll have to drop it through the top of my stand. My concern with this is how will I do any maintenance once the tank is filled up. Any ideas? Maybe a hob protein skimmer and a small refuge in the bottom?

Last edited:
Can you take a picture of your tank and stand for us. I have 2 ten gallon tanks under my 55. Once everything is filled with water you can't move it.

That was my original plan, so it must be a good thought. :) But now that I actually have my tank, I find that the slit on the back is only 15 inches long. The cpr aquafuge ps small reguires 19" to hang. Could I have the top of the tank cut? So thats when I started looking at the aquafuge pro, but that won't fit in the stand. So then I started thinking about designing my own sump/refugium and dropping it in through the top of the stand, but I don't know if that's a good idea or not.

Oh crap, I forgot you have an acrylic tank with a support bar in the middle. Hmm, you could put a tank underneath. Im not sure why you are worried about maintance underneath the tank because of the one door. It should give you plenty of access. I will document my DYI refuge with pictures if you like. I used 2 10 gallon tanks, one refuge, one for skimmer. You could just go with a refuge underneath and a hang on skimmer on the back.

I'm not sure why I'm worried either. I was more so looking for advice so I'm not kicking myself later. If you would document the dyi refuge that would be awesome! I'm not the most handy so I can always use the direction.

Better to take your and get it right the first time, I have wasted tons of money redesigning my tank. I will post those pics tonight, im at work right now.

Pictures are here again!

NGuay,

My refuge is not beautiful but it works. Its a ten gallon tank with plexi glass and egg crate dividers.

I measured out the heights I wanted and the width of the tank. I then went to Home Depot and had them cut plexi glass to my measurements (cutting it yourself is a pain). I also bought aquarium glue and a sheet of egg crate from home depot. When I got home I glued the plexi glass & egg crate in place. I then waited the drying time and preceded to fill each compartment up to find leaks, afterwards I went back and put more glue in the areas that were leaking. The only thing my photos do not show is the return pump. That is because its in the 10 gallon tank next to this ten gallon tank. It has my protein skimmer in it. It used to be in the right side compartment.

My only warning is the CPR overflow is my mortal enemy. They use a very cheap aqua lifter pump, $12. I come home to a overflow mess once every 2 months because it quits running and my return pump keeps pumping. Drill your tank if possible or put a float switch in your main tank that will cut off your return pump.

Hope this helps.

sand

I wouldn't use the tropical argonite from Home Depot. It looks like everyone in the forum is leading you straight. I hope you can get us some pitures of your coffee table set-up. I may talk to my girlfriend about setting one up at her coffee shop. I have not seen one since I was a kid. Keep us posted on your reef progress. I bet your girl will be into reefing with you no time. It provides a nice setting if you know what I mean. God Bless.
_Burney

Back